Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 5:49am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just curious over time i have noticed alot of people don't compete in any tournments or anything say they have a proven fighting system and dont need to. which is fine but why dont any of these people ever throw gloves on and bash on each other thats the best way to test your skills.

Not this bs no touch crap but beat the hell out each other? With some rules so you can do it again but i dont see why not. Good way to test your style, and your abilitys i mean if you cant cut it in just sparring how are you suppost to be able to handle a real fight with someone throwing heymakers at you.

This comment/question is out to the people who dont spar or compete in anything.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 6:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I practice, I usually compete against myself as a person. Getting better at MA's also requires that you have good knowledge about what you can and cannot do.

I like sparring, but I don't like walking around with busted lips and swollen eyes. A hole in your defense is a hole in your defense. You can either choose to knock someone out, or point it out to that person by moderately hitting that spot.

Sparring is about learning, not knocking your partner out.

Simps

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 6:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes you have to rock them to get the point acrossed, though.

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 6:25am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah i like sparring

I mostly like sparring people around my skill level but will spar just about anyone for fun.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 7:14am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simps.

You're quickly turning into my Lex Luthor on this board! ;)

You can either choose to knock someone out, or point it out to that person by moderately hitting that spot.
    I can't agree. At least not the majority of the time. I think there is a huge difference between going light/medium contact and heavy/full contact. You get differences in timing, distance and speed. And it's not always easy to see exactly what is going on in sparring if you are not actually getting hit hard. That's why people that try and go from light to full contact almost always get munched until they learn to adapt.

That doesn't mean you have to go absolutely all out every time you step on the mat. But you need to do that sometimes. And the rest of the time you should still be going pretty hard.

Regards,
    Matt

"My cat's name is Mittens."
    Ralph Wiggum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt W. did I mention that I have a katana at home *evil grin*

Hitting moderately does not mean that it doesn't hurt, nor that it doesn't get the point across.

The majority of your punching or kicking strength lies in hitting "through" your opponent. You don't aim for your opponent, you aim in your opponent.

You just hold back about an inch with medium contact. Besides, with the proper sparring gear, you can still make things pretty rough. I use sparring though to work on my reaction speed and see how a particular combo works.

We have this guy at TKD practice, he comes from a different school, he doesn't hold back on anyone, which is fine by me. I'm a white belt. New MA, white belt again :) So he went rough on me too. Fine, but if you dish out, be ready to take some hurt as well. Little did he know that I've got more MA experience then my white belt shows.

Switching from medium contact to full contact is merely a mindset if you know what you're doing. But that's what MA is mostly about anyway, knowing what you're doing.

AndI have sparred MT guys and I know what full contact is, thank you very much :)

Simps

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't train for sport...we spar and i suck at it because i'm not a good boxer and with gloves on my **** is hindered....but barefisted, i'd probably **** alot of people up...sparring doesn't prove much. If you fight standup include clinches and groundfighting...yeah, that's much better.

You don't learn much from pummeling someone else or having someone else pummel you over and over. The learning from sparring comes from being able to see what you are doing wrong. If you are killing someone you are not learning because they are not putting up a defense against which you can learn...if you are being slaughtered you aren ot learning solid attacks or solid defense...Sparring is only one component.

But yeah, if you don't spar at all...you probably suck.

Guns....the fifth range
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 8:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree Cyrijl ...

And boxing gloves suck, the hand can go places the glove can't :) I think that everyone who posts here can **** someone else up real good bare fisted.

Not that anyone should though, don't get me wrong :)

Simps

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "You don't learn much from pummeling someone else or having someone else pummel you over and over"

you dont huh? are you sure your not FATALVISION in disguise?

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Taking a break

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I often go round to my instructors house and we fight in his garden. Either medium contact with escrima sticks (gloves and helmet only) or medium contact bare handed. Medium contact is more than enough, as one time I got dropped by a stick to the ribs that his wife, who was inside the house, described as a "sickening thud".
    Our medium contact may be close to full contact to other people, but I tend to not follow up after a hard hit in case the other person has been injured and isn't going to be able to defend the next blow. If we go to the ground, we lose the helmets and gloves and then go for it pretty hard. Ground and pound is rarely viable as we're all competent at stopping people getting the mount.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast