Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do people think self-defense systems need to have sparring? A self-defense situation isn't going to be like a fight, it's going to be like you getting jumped by some thug who thinks you look like someone who owes him money. Have you ever been attacked by a thug who said, "Pardon me, sir, but I'd like to attack you and take your material possesions, if we can just get a third person to let us know when to start and break it up if things get a bit rough-- Ah, you there, can you stand between us here and wave your hand like so? Right, that's the signal to start, once he does that we'll come at each other. Ready? OK."

It's all about reaction training and mindset development. You train the reaction to common attacks, algorithms to decide how to deal with other attacks, and the mindset to be able to do and know what to do in what situation.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no but i have been attacked walking the street several times. you have to beat the **** out of each other in the shop to build the confidence and know how in order to defend yourself out in the trenches of this world.

you best be fukking ready for when your attacked, not if your attacked.

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 10:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mercurius makes a good point.

My sifu says the he does not teach self-defense - he teaches how to fight. Self defense is first and foremost avoiding dangerous situations. After that, it is knocking out the guy who is starting **** with you (if you can't talk your way out of it). This could even be with a sucker punch. If all of that fails, THEN you both know you're in a FIGHT. THAT is when the stuff you learn in the dojo really comes into play.

That being said, I think that a valuable part of a good self-defense program is the mental side. This includes situational awareness and what to look for in a possible attacker. I mean, how do you distinguish between someone who wants to stomp you into the ground and someone who is just blowing off steam? What are some of the "tricks" and distractions that people might use on you?

I think a good self-defense program should also cover "non-traditional" techniques. I don't want to start another "trained vs un-trained attacker" thread, but I think it is good to get used to seeing techniques come from "odd" angles. The street thug might not have crisp, straight punches, but if he is predator enough to attack you, he might be effective with what he has learned - his own "style". Either that, or he'll pull a weapon on you. :)

Speaking of which, I think a good self-defense program will DEFINATELY cover weapons defense. Not only how to defend against them, but how to recognize when someone has one. At the very least, is should teach one to be aware of the possibility of the attacker having a hidden weapon. It is quite easy, for example, for someone to conceal a knife in their hand. We are probably used to looking for such a thing, but many newbies might not.

Also, a good program needs intensity, in drills, as well as sparring. It also needs to instill what my old senseis used to call "an attitude of self-defense". That basically means to take your **** seriously... like your life depends on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 6:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learning to be polite and smooth tongued

The best S.D. is to never fight for your life! Knowing how to talk could help you much more then knowing how to strike/kick/grapple or any other supposedly Martial skill. Unless you are in the army in a fight, but then again, the above skills will be the last you wish to use.

Amir

Taking a break

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 7:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Self defence should be about awareness and evasion. Most situations can be dealt with by surviving the initial encounter long enough to be able to run away. Bravado has no place in SD, theres no point in getting to a position where you can esccape but decide to carry on fighting anyway.
    I accept that there are situations where you have no option but to beat the guy to a bloody pulp, but these are going to be much rarer. Thats why theres a difference between self defence and martial arts. The latter teaches you how to fight, the former teaches you how to evade the fight.
    I now fully expect Jamoke to call me a *****.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 8:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do people think self-defense systems need to have sparring?
    If you never get hit...getting hit on the street may totally freeze you up. We don't spar for points in krav. We get in an try to hit the other person and not get hit. Head, groin, liver, knees (though you have to be careful) are all game...It is not a fight, it is a beating and you're the one giving it. But if someone chokes you and you can't get out of it, all of that punching and kicking is not going to do so much for you

another words beg someone not to kiss your ass because your a fukking ***** and couldn't fight you way out of a paper bay, Amir?
    Listen jamoke, i know you seem to like to fight. But i am not going to fight unless i have to. People can call me whatever they want, **** 'em. Either you are what they called you and so you have to live with it. Or you are not what they call you so why should it matter.

Guns....the fifth range
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 8:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey cyrijl, tell me, where do you study the martial arts. i know several dozen martial arts instructors in the Boston area.

like i said cyrijl, i dont want to spend much time on you, you sound very novice like. tell me what town you study krav?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 9:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boston...south end

Guns....the fifth range

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 9:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i sound like a novice because i don't want to fight complete strangers who call me names?...i mean, come on.

Guns....the fifth range

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 10:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who said anything about fighting if someone calls you names? your fukked, does everybody tell you talking to you is like running into a brick wall over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast