Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't alot of the security officers in the US issued sidearms?

Le Grill?? What the hell is that?!! - Homer Simpson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back to the origional post of this thread for a moment:
    "Does anyone train in a martial art that in addition to empty hand fighting, also trains with weapons?"
    Okinawan ShorinRyu Karate & Kobudo (weapons) is one of several traditional systems that trains with weapons. I have been a practioner of it since 1975, and for me, it is the perfect mixture of art and functionality. I train in the use of the bo, sai, tonfa, kama, numchaku, nitonbo, and have added numerous other weapons such as the cane, kobutan, chair, beer bottle, knife, club, handful of weeds, towel, books, telephone, belt (with heavy buckle is best), baseball/cowboy hat, etc, etc..get the idea? Basically, just about ANYTHING can be used as a weapon, in one sense or the other.

"Are there certain Arts that train more with weapons than others?"
    Yes, but I can't name any right off the top of my head.

"A Friend of mine who's into European Martial arts..."
    Can somebody PLEASE tell me what a European Martial Art is???

"...is going to some school in Colorado to train in fencing and Medieval weapons and stuff and it seems like it would be interesting."
    Check out the SCA...Society for Creative Anachronisms (sp?) http://www.sca.org/ .. sounds like it's what you're interested in.

Good luck

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't the SCA those guys who beat each other with giant Q-Tips?

----------------------------

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol...yeah..something like that. I just got a bit involved in it last year because my fiancee' is in it. They hit pretty damn hard with those q-tips though, and those weapons, although well padded, sure do make a whallup when they hit each other! I say some pretty good sized guys get smacked with those things and get knocked to the ground because of it. No faking there. They also do fencing, which is something I'd like to try. :o)

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 5:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, knocked to the ground huh, sounds pretty hardcore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 6:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They have stringent rules about body armor. If it dosen't meet specs, they don't fight. The honor system is in full affect also. What I mean is..if you're hit and you KNOW you're hit in a lethal spot (arm/let, torso, head), then you are expected (everybody was honest that I saw last year) to accept that you were hit and act accordingly.

Examples: If hit in the arm, you lose the use of that arm. Leg, you go to your knees. Clean strike to the head...you're one dead buck-a-roo! lol Chivalry isn't dead at these things, and despite beating the crap out of each other, they all are friends afterwards--shake hands and hug (did knights hug?)and get ready for the next bout.

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 7:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, i don't need to know how to stab somebody if I really, absolutely had to...

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
    "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

***ned

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, i don't need to know how to stab somebody if I really, absolutely had to...
    Anyone can stab somebody. The question is, how effective is that stab going to be?

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 9:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't bother Deus, blade would need a snuff video to believe that knives would actually work.

Hmm....that brings an interesting thought, maybe we should get dibble and 9chambers together.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

***ned

Posted On:
    7/13/2003 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, I wasn't bothering. Just throwing out mundance questions. I don't participate in these threads anymore. =)

6 days until Armageddon. =)

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast