Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 8:15pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell man, when I was out buying a new sports bag, I had to tell a security guard my Kali sticks (had to make sure they fit) were "Native Philipino Art" just to get through the mall.

It's illegal to carry them in Canada under the same law that prohibits the 'chucks because they are purpose built as a weapon. The fact that I could hurt someone just as badly with a car antenna seems to have escaped notice.

"Oh ****, it was the other Osiris, The Wastrel." -- patfromlogan
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 9:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fence, mainly epee and sabre. I recommend it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 6:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice Korindo Aikido and our practice includes most of the Koryu weapons. I have already practiced to some extent the following weapons:
    Ken, Kodachi (short sword)), Nito (2 swords),Tanto, Jo, Bo, Hami-Bo (SanShakuBo - 90cm stick, Naginata.
    We also have in our curriculum some weapons I have yet to learn, such as Ksari-Gama and a few others (don't recall them right now).

The basic practice of each weapon includes:
    Kihon, Basic paired drills (or simple one time Kata), Kata (Either specific to Korindo Aikido or from one of the Koryu styles it's based on) and Randori (free play, with no sheilds of any sort).

As can be seen, it is a very wide curriculum, and nobody isn't supposed to know it all (even Korindo Aikido founder - Minorou Hirai didn't know them all). Personaly, the only weapon I feel somewhat proficient with is the Jo. As far as all other weapons, I am just a beginner,regardless of the time I have already learnt them.

Amir

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 6:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think it's ridiculous that some hand carried weapons are outlawed and gun control is the way it is in the US. i don't know about canada.

anyway, i use shinai and bokken in kendo training (bamboo and wooden sword, respectively), iaito (japanese sword construction but unsharpened metal) for iaido practice, and tried european fencing a few times. nothing you would use on the street though, unless you lived a couple hundred years ago.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 7:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train medieval longsword according to the ARMA method (www.thearma.org), mostly using Talhoffer as my primary source. Good stuff. It includes some grappling too.

Regards,
    Matt

"My cat's name is Mittens."
    Ralph Wiggum

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 7:36am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "i think it's ridiculous that some hand carried weapons are outlawed and gun control is the way it is in the US. i don't know about canada."

Lemme tell ya, Jenn.....

Canada's firearms legislation suck. And they're only gonna get worse. And this is coming straight from a Canadian.

To me, gun control means using both hands. That's it.

"Everybody knows...if the police have to chase you down, they're brining an ass kicking with them". - Chris Rock
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 8:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in Mass. i can get a permit to carry concealed, but can't carry a staff, nunchucks (not that i would), and knives?....forget about knives...

When was the last time there was a drive by staffing?

Guns....the fifth range
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say you train with weapons, do you mean forms or actually sparring.

Without sparring in those weapons, the forms are useless.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 10:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained in basically, the gamut of martial arts weapons. Nunchaku, Tonfa, Sai, Shuriken, Kusarigama, Kusarifundo, Kyoketsu Shoge, Daito, Shoto, Tanto, Bo/Jo/Hanbo, Guan dao, Pu dao, 7 and 9 link whip chain (though I never much liked those things), Gim, Dao, as well as firearm training.

They're all good to learn, they can show you unarmed techniques, in a new light. And well...the gun training is just for fun really.

ryan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2003 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam
    At least as far as me:
    We have light sparring in our system even with weapons, included un-matched weapons sparring (I have tried the one with Jo/Kodachi/Nito/Naginata another with Boken variations mostly).

But the sparring must be done with lots of care, or else one would finish in the hospital very soon. We don't use any protection gear, and accidents do happen. I recall almost losing an eye in a sparring with my sensei except he held the strike in the last mm. My brother almost killed me entering with a boken to my throat in another fight, returning me a head strike I gave him a couple of years earlier. And the number of strikes on the wrists and fingers is uncountable.

Even if you only Spar with wooden weapons, you shouldn't go full speed normally! the one exception is practicing against a much more experienced person telling you otherwise !

Amir
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast