Posted On:
    7/08/2003 5:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4-H Camp Counselors Accused of Organizing Fights Between Children

Tuesday, July 08, 2003

ROANOKE, Va. Sheriff's officers are investigating allegations that counselors at a 4-H summer camp (search) arranged fistfights between children ages 9 to 13, charged admission to the brawls and allowed betting.

Franklin County Sheriff Quint Overton said Tuesday that the youngsters were told to lie to parents about the fights after several campers suffered black eyes and one broke his hand.

No charges have been filed, but Overton said he had six officers investigating the five-day camp that began June 30 at the Smith Mountain Lake 4-H Educational Conference Center (search).

"It's hard to believe anyone would do this," Overton said. He said he heard that campers were charged $1 for admission, and that the counselors and children could bet up to $4 per fight.

The sheriff said investigators have talked to several parents since the first complaint came in Monday from Richard Rawls, who said his 10-year-old son came home with a black eye. Rawls said his son claimed at first that he had been hit by a basketball.

"They pitted these kids against each other like a damn cockfight," Rawls said.

Rawls said his son was forced to defend himself five times during the week. He won the first four fights, but was knocked out the fifth time.

"He's OK now, I guess. He's been crying, and he told me today he wants to go to the doctor," Rawls said.

While girls attended the camp, the sheriff said the fights involved only boys. Boys who did not want to participate were confined to their cabins, Overton said.

About 300 children attended the camp last week at Smith Mountain Lake (search). It was organized by the Bedford County chapter of the Virginia Cooperative Extension.

The camp was supervised by teen counselors, 14 to 18 years old, and adult counselors, 19 and older. Four teens and two adults were in charge of the lodge where the fights allegedly occurred, said Charlie Stott, spokesman for Virginia Cooperative Extension.

If the accusations prove true, Stott said, "it's certainly an isolated incident."

Calls to the national 4-H headquarters were referred to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which oversees the 4-H. A USDA spokeswoman did not immediately return a call.

Smith Mountain Lake is one of six 4-H camps in Virginia with activities ranging from rifle marksmanship and archery to computer science, journalism and the performing arts. They serve more than 26,000 campers every year.

Camp counselors generally come from local 4-H chapters and are mostly volunteers, who must have 24 hours of training on working with young people and emergency procedures, Stott said. The camps also have at least one full-time paid staff member.

The 4-H program was founded to educate children in home economics and agriculture, but today more than half of the participants are from cities and suburbs. Youngsters pledge their head, heart, hands and health -- hence, 4-H -- to such goals as loyalty, clearer thinking, community service and better living.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,91355,00.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 5:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    H-umans H-itting H-eads H-ard

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He should be proud, his son went 4-1 in one week.
    And really, by the time you get to your 5th fight, you can't really claim to be at your best :)

But seriously, what is the mentality of people who organise this stuff?
    Even if they had no morals at all, was their IQ so low they couldn't figure out they'd be caught very quickly.

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 11:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did this happen? (what/s 4H btw?) How did a good camp have a bad branch? How was this camp advertised...as a regular summer camp? Iono the whole ting sickens me and makes me curious but i'm too lazy to read the whole thing carefully

Do Be Open-minded
    Don't Be Gullible
    -----------------
    Aromatic Mornings, by BBN

Every morning I dream of Benzenes...
    Those wonderful
    planar
    conjugated
    1-3-5-cyclohexatrienes.

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 12:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Camp counselors generally come from local 4-H chapters and are mostly volunteers, who must have 24 hours of training on working with young people and emergency procedures, Stott said. The camps also have at least one full-time paid staff member.

The 4-H program was founded to educate children in home economics and agriculture, but today more than half of the participants are from cities and suburbs. Youngsters pledge their head, heart, hands and health -- hence, 4-H -- to such goals as loyalty, clearer thinking, community service and better living.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 12:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brand, the camp counselors were probably stylists which explains this deviant behavior.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 1:14am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats wrong with kids brawling :D .

They shouldnt be forced to fight thats bs.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 1:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats wrong with kids brawling :D .

They shouldnt be forced to fight thats bs.
    From what I heard on the news today, the adults at the camps encouraged the kids to lie about the incident. Great role models...
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 2:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brand, the camp counselors were probably stylists which explains this deviant behavior.

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, creator of the Kungfoolss Darwinian Awards, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

http://forums.delphiforums.com/testing12345703/start

no it doens't. ppl who like NHB are blodo thirsty ppl. they dn't believe in karate or wahtever. they just want to see kids bleed and bruse the other

Do Be Open-minded
    Don't Be Gullible
    -----------------
    Aromatic Mornings, by BBN

Every morning I dream of Benzenes...
    Those wonderful
    planar
    conjugated
    1-3-5-cyclohexatrienes.

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 7:46am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo