Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how you all doing, i want your honest opinion. im 24 yo i have some muy thai experiance, but now i have a desire to train mma so i may compete and hopefully in about 5 years make a appearance in a UFC or PRIDE. i was talking to a brazilian jujitsu school here in nyc and the guy there who teaches classes tell me im to old,i should of thought about this when i was 15 y.o. at 24 there no way i will make it to that level, now im not thinking of becoming a champion maybe an amatuer title and a appearance and become a trainer. now everyone out there reading this please be honest am i too old to think about training in nhb fighting caus this guy really discouraged me. thanks

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 3:59pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're only 24 and you're wondering if you're too old. Go sit in the corner you snotty nose brat.

Go away I'm talking to myself

game dog

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA quiz:

how old was Dan Severn when he first won the UFC?

how old was Randy Couture when he beat the hell out of Chuck Liddell recently?

Now how many years of training do you need to become a tournament quality fighter, especially when you've got the striking aspect covered already? I would say, five years sounds reasonable. That means you still have a few good years to establish yourself in the scene.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I expected to click on this thread and see a 40yr old needing encouragement to follow his dream.

Your 24. If a trainer tells you, that you're too old, tell him to **** off and go to someone else.

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 7:28pm

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your 24 you can handle it, look at bas.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 7:28pm

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your 24 you can handle it, look at bas.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow really thanks alot guys im pretty easy and guilable the guy made me feel as if i was 40 im big strong guy but very sensitive lol. you also have to understand i grew up in a very eurpean style home if your not married with kids by 16 your to old the fact i wanna finish my college degree makes my family think im too old for that lol i know might sound weird to some of you but when the instuctor told me i was pretty old that just made me fall in the trap all over again thanks alot please send more replys

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 8:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man...don't worry about being too old for ANYTHING you want to do at 24...except maybe not using the toilet instead of your...nevermind.

Seriously, though...I started training MMA at age 28. I'll never compete in anything beyond a local submission wrestling tournament, but I train with guys who are pros fighting in Mexico and some of the best fight in Japan promotions like Shooto...these guys are almost all 22-34 years old with varying degrees of experience. At 24, you got many years of ass-kicking ahead of you. Its all about how much you are willing to put into it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two words - Helio Gracie

There are many that still think he can tap most of todays fighters. Just kidding, but he is a good example that you can be competitive at an older age. Ruas is no spring chicken either.

"Ya can't play with my YO-YO!!!"
  10. 9chambers

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 9:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don Freye is pretty old too.

I am 31 years old. I've trained for years in a variety of stuff but I just decided this month (now that I can afford it) to join a BJJ, JKD, FMA dojo here in town and get a legit rank. I plan on sticking with it until I get a black belt and competing in grappling and submission tournaments.

I kind of let myself get out of shape this last few years. I was starting to think that my best days were over. I started training again this year and I feel 10 years younger. A should be in the best shape of my life in a few months if I keep at it. People think I am 18-21 when they meet me sometimes. Joining up and getting into a fitness program will help you stay healthy. It's worth it if just for that.

As far as competing in major NHB tournaments. Just you know, see how it goes. You've got to have goals. I wouldn't do it to get famous. These days you have to win 15-20 mathces just to get noticed. Unless you plan on making a career out of it and competing for 5 or 6 years then don't plan on being a legend and opening your own gym with a line of videos and clothing. If you just want to do it as a personal goal though .. go for it. Good luck.

Have fun.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast