Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kail : This is interesting, because it looked pretty much like the American Kenpo I hold a brown belt in. The only real difference, I guess, is that his school encouraged more high kicks and a higher fighting stance.

My friend was not fighting like a typical American Kenpo guy mostly because of his boxing experience. He is used to taking hits, and is not afraid to throw them. From what I understand, that's not the norm where he trains.

And I'm not saying that backfists have no power. On the other hand I think it's a technique that has a limiter, but significant use, especially, as you said, late in the fight, when they are great for aggravating cuts and swelling caused earlier by your primary punches. You can get real power into a backfist, but he was not doing it, so I would trade a weak ass backfist to the side of my head for a solid hook to his jaw.

Punisher: These rules make sparring competitions into a game (in a way, the opposite of Tae Kyon) that could be fun, but has little if any connection to figting. At least, IMO.

BigRod: The kicks he was throwing were very different from your typical spinning back kick. The spinning back kicks I am pretty much used to - they are thrown every once in a while in my sparring sessions. These were spinning side kicks that come up and over into the midsection, and recognising and neutralizing them is a completely separate game.

Overall, sparring him was a fun and educational experience. We were going more or less full contact (that is we weren't trying to knock each other out, but weren't holding back either) for about a good hour or so (with breaks) and both had a lot of fun and learned quite a bit.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 12:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing which is absolutely amazing, is how little grappling you need to know in order to completely take out of their element and dominate untrained people.

THose here who rolled with me will testify to the fact that I am a complete beginner. I am sloppy, inexperienced, and don't even know a lot of the basics. However, I could take this guy, and my brother who does quite a bit of boxing and streetfighting, down to the ground ***at will*** and do whatever the hell I wanted once we were there.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 7:52pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "These were spinning side kicks that come up and over into the midsection, and recognising and neutralizing them is a completely separate game."

eh?

could you say more about this kick?

i have some ideas, but am confused a little.

peace.

<marquee>REDANTKUNTAO</marquee>
    <marquee> INDONESIAN GUNG FU</marquee>

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 8:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure about the title - I just came up with this one myself.

In the begining it looks like a spinning back kick, except the foot is positioned horisontaly, comes up and around, as opposed to streight in, and at an angle.

This could very well be a pretty typical strike in some martial arts, but I've never seen it used against me before.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 8:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many typos can I fit into one sentence?

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strange. I thought Ed Parkers people (American Kenpo) would be able to an MMA fighter because Parker stress realistic situations i.e. less rules (so striking below the waste etc). This is just from articles I've read.

"Ya can't play with my YO-YO!!!"

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's called an axe kick?

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 9:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hook kick? Crescent kick?

Did he actually spin around (360)?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 1:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He spun around, but he threw the kick when his back was to me, just like the normal spinning back kick, except the kick was horisontal, the leg was bent a bit, and it came around at an angle. I could show it a lot better than I can explain it.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 1:26am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like a type of reverse crescent kick.

"Everybody knows...if the police have to chase you down, they're brining an ass kicking with them". - Chris Rock
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast