Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 6:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because they look so damn COOL! That's what people remember. And they're a hell of alot of fun to do in demonstrations, so that's what the public sees.

Kali is a serious hard a$$ed style, and it is alot of fun.

eskrima,

Its obvious that frankyl has never trained seriously so let him off the hook (this time).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eskrima,
    First you assume you are the spokesperson for the Filipino Martial Arts because you think you may have some answers. Then, you go directly to name calling because of your over enlarged ego. Your answer: "As for the disarming, well that is very simple too. It is a matter of anticipation and timing...."..just demonstrates how little you really know. My quest was to find out whether there were people like you giving crap explainations. PeeDee, DJcoldfusion and Ksmythe gave a better and more logical answer then you. And as you stated..."it is not a good idea against a good Eskrima fighter"...Well Duh......oh-wait, does he have "I am a good Eskrima Fighter" on his/her chest? So, next time you start to be almighty and name call, beware because you don't know who you are talking to. Lastly, am I discrediting the art by making sure that people understand that they are accountable for what they teach.......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2002 2:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frankyl,
    I do not assume I am THE Spokesperson for the Filipino Martial Arts. But I know enough that when I read your post I can tell that you have very little understanding of FMA. You may have been training for a long time. Swinging the stick, doing some foot steps, remembering numbers, forcing the techniques to work...

"So, next time you start to be almighty and name call, beware because you don't know who you are talking to."
    Okay. Who are you then? I would like to know who I am talking to. It appears that you think you are some kind of big shot. So please tell us who you are.

I will not tell any of you guys who I am, but if you want to talk Kali, then let's do it. As for name calling.... All i said was that either you suck, or you had a bad teacher. That is not name calling.

As for my answer on the disarms. It is the Truth.

There are millions of disarms in FMA. The ones I know is based on timing and anticipation. This is called strategy. There are blade styles that exist which possess strategies that will blow your mind.

How this relates to the disarming? An example would be if your opponent strikes you. Let us say you are in the medium range. So you block it. not only does the block work effectively, but it naturally leads your opponent into a fighting stance that you have already "anticipated" because of the defense you used to deal with his strike. So now your opponent has presented you with an opening. You can either strike him and end the fight, or if you are in the mood to exhibit how good your timing is, you can wait for him to strike, and because of your advatageous strategy and positioning, you can easily disarm your opponent.

Now, frankyl... You can disagree however you like, and you can even go ahead and try to figure a way to object, but I am sorry. The FMA works very effectively. If you practice FMA, and you think it doesn't work..well that is too bad for you because you probably suck.

FMA takes true skill. You have to be good if you want to make it work. I have taught some people, and I can tell if a person is good, or if they are wasting their time.

When they suck, I tell them very gently that maybe FMA isn't good for them and tell them to go out and buy a gi and learn Tae Kwon Do.

So, judging from your post, unless you are a Troll... You must probably suck, and should stay away from FMA because you do not possess the proper aptitude to properly employ FMA effectively.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2002 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must give credit where credit is due. If I can say bad things about PeeDee, I must also compliment him when he says something bright.

PeeDee, I think your response in this thread is right on the money. What most people do not realize is that your common weapon attacks do not come from seasoned trained people. They most commonly come from spur of the moment attacks. Statistically, most weapon wielding attackers are either drunk or on drugs.

If it were a professionally planned weapon attack from a pro, you would never see it coming.

YOUR ALL TOOLS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2002 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eskrima,
    Spoken like a true idiot. First of all you are talking about medium range and BLOCKING. Where are you, in dream land or at a school safe and sound. You've just proven, you have never been involved in a fight. You blocked, are you not aware that when you block you are defensive. Are you not aware that the guy coming towards you had a weapon? Again are you so fast you can react in micro-seconds to an attack? And are you sure you have survived the hit with whatever you block with. FMA takes skill, but it also takes knowing the truth as you put it. If a person is coming up to you with a stick and obviously you have a weapon, do you wait to attack because you are compassionate, or perhaps the guy wanted to show you his tomato stick.......
    And: quote "You can either strike him and end the fight, or if you are in the mood to exhibit how good your timing is, you can wait for him to strike, and because of your advatageous strategy and positioning, you can easily disarm your opponent." ARE YOU NUTS. The real fight is not in your mind or on TV or the movies. I hope you are not a teacher, because I would pray for your students if they believe what you are saying.
    PS - I hope this is not what your teachers taught you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2002 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most FMA styles recognize at least three basic ranges (some see many more) Largo Mano, Medio, and Corto (Long, medium, short). Fighting happens at all ranges and so can disarms.

Blcoks do not have to be defensive, escpecially in the FMAs. A block (I am speaking in generalities here)can be directed towards the attackers weapon or the hand holding his weapon. A block may serve as a tool to gain control of an opponent's weapon, get yourself out of the way, or just bridge the distance while you move between ranges.

In my opinion the most important blocks in the FMA (for sticks) are the roof block, the umbrella/ high-shield. They are the most important because they are the most effective against the most common attack (an angle 1 -- An angle 1 is a downward diagonal strike from above the attackers right shoulder. The attack typically travels from the "victims" left head-neck region down to their right torso-waist region. Grab a hammer and raise it above your right shoulder, now stand in-front of someone (toe to toe) and imagine hitting them where their neck meets their torso. That's an angle 1. -- This is a description recognized by many but not all FMAs. Inosanto blend, and Lacoste method recognize this description of aan angle 1). They will also work well against angles 8 (vertical downward) and angle 2 (backhand downward diagonal to opponent's head/neck. See above angle 1 description and then think of holding the hammer in your right hand above your left shoulder . . .) with minor adjustments they are effective against angles 3 and 4 (horizontal side to side across the torso) although we would then change the names to left and right wing blocks (the mechanics are very similar, the elevation of the stick and the angle of the opponent's attack are different. They use the same supportive structure).

They allow you to get in under the attack (angles 1,2,8) or slide off to the side (angles 1,2,3,4,8)of the attack depending on what it is that you want to do tactically.

Basically, frankyL, blocking doesn't have to be defensive

Truth is discovered when you find a stick whirring past your head at 100mph. Higher concsiousness is reached through the use of harder contact in practice!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2002 4:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DJ,
    I agree that blocking doesn't have to be defensive, and shouldn't be. And when you get people like Eskrima thinking they could defend against a weapons coming at 100+ mile per hour that you are going to use timing to disarm, the point I was making is --- practice harder contact instead of classroom speed, and environment. So with Eskrima's strategy of fighting, you will never have any rasinettes to eat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2002 12:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry frankyl,

But it appears that you have much to learn in eskrima.

I would imagine that you already know how to swing the sticks like a maniac. If you would like to stay on that level that is fine because you will have much success against people.

However there exists many Kali guys who have gone beyond the caveman level, and have ventured off into the realm of skill, finesse and practical strategy. If you ever engage one of these guys in a fight they will carve you up like a turkey and you will come back here and complain about how Kali does not work because you are not good enough to do it properly.

"And when you get people like Eskrima thinking they could defend against a weapons coming at 100+ mile per hour that you are going to use timing to disarm"

frankyl, before you waste keyboard strokes to express something like this, you should take some time out to read my post because there is really something valuable you can learn.

I did not say to disarm the initial "100 mph" strike. Rather, I was talking about how if you are good enough, you can disarm your opponent's follow up strike based on your anticipation and strategic positioning.

Somebody mentioned the "zero pressure" zone. I am not familiar with this term, (I just always called it an opening) but that was exactly what I was talking about. That is the moment when you can do the disarm, or hit your opponent.

DJColfusion made some very valid points considering the roof block vs. a number one strike. But this is stuff most people already know, and are already prepared to deal with. This is good for the street, but may get you in trouble against an accomplished eskrimador.

You had asked us to shed some light on what you consider BS in kali. I simply provided you with a true explanation, and all you did was resort to your childish trolling.

In fact, the explanation I gave you wasn't some concept I had just made up or imagined in a dream. I learned from Antonio "Tatang" Ilustrisimo, and his student Tony Diego when I trained with them from 1994 to 1996.

Our training really had nothing to do with techniques. All they did was showed me how to use my brains when I engage in a blade fight.

Sorry frankyl, but stop wasting your time, and your instructor's time in Kali. You are not good enough for this art. So go to BJJ. Bjj is very effective and very popular because it is an art when people of all shapes and sizes can do well.
    Kali is reserved for the elite martial artist.

Oh yeah, So please tell us, Who are you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2002 1:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eskrima,
    I am your worst nightmare.........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2002 2:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    frankyl... since I was a kid my worst nightmare has always been a big piece of **** that won't come out of my ass.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast