Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2003 8:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends how its taught. If it's taught for excercise and peace of mind, where the practitioner is just going through the motions and not learning practical fighting skills than I dont think people would fare very well (imagine a karateka that only learnt kata and all his training consisted of practicing those katas daily. How do u think he would do in a fight?) If a tai chi school is focused on tai chi fighting than thats a different story. I think most tai chi schools are taught like the first way but I really have no idea. Does anyone study tai chi?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2003 9:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think people who are down on forms don't know what really goes into *doing* a form. To do a form properly, you need root, breathing, balance, attention, visualization, the whole nine yards. in traditional chinese training, mindful repetition and total awareness of your body as you ingrain motions is the foundation of everything. And the way you do a form constantly evolves with your understanding and proficiency. People who think forms are just "air punching" or "going through motions" are out of touch with the authentic traditional approach.

Edited by - Xuanlong Xian on July 06 2003 21:29:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2003 9:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris wheter you were being sacastic or not here is the title and isbn of the book, oh, and it covers alot of ground. not just the way the maya fought.

Maya Cosmos
    by Davi Freidel, Linda Schele, and Joy Parker
    ISBN 0-688-14069-6

If you check this book out Os, pay particular attention to the dipiction on p.344

Now I appologize to those interested in the actual topic of this thread. But we all know where it is headed any way.

the world you live in is just a sugar coated toping. beneath it is another world. The real world. and to survive there you must learn to pull the trigger!!!-Blade

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2003 9:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool, some times, you make it hard to tell one way or the other.

the world you live in is just a sugar coated toping. beneath it is another world. The real world. and to survive there you must learn to pull the trigger!!!-Blade

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2003 11:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did tai chi for like 5 or 6 years. Mostly yang style but I started in Chen style near the end. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I am not a fan. I don't like it that much at all. (It was a part of the curriculum at my CMA school though and I had to learn it) However, I still use a few techniques that I learned from Tai Chi, and I know several people who can kick your ass severely using tai chi and nothing else. If trained right, it is fucking scarily effective. I never liked it because it doesn't fit my personal style or ideology at all. And I still laugh at pretty much anyone that tells me they study tai chi, because the sux rate is really more like 99.999999999999999999999% and the odds are very much in favor of incompetency on the part of whoever I encounter that does it. And on the plus side, the rare individual who is really good at it, is very unlikely to kick my ass for laughing at him :)

But I give a thumbs up to the skeptics. I didn't believe it till I saw it, and neither should anyone else. Unlike what some people think, I don't feel that the uninitiated skeptic should keep their mouth shut, but if you run your mouth while keeping your eyes closed, then you are a fool. If and when you encounter evidence contrary to your ideas, don't be blinded by your agenda.

---------
    Shut up and train

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    7/06/2003 11:58pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good taichi is a brutal as any other well applied art. i dont have much experience with it, but if you take the movements and speed them up and combine them with effective targeting, angles and timing, it would be highly effective. single whip for one is a great technique when done 'properly'.

relaxation and good biomechanics combined with excellent timing and distance control is what makes techniques work.

taichi is based on relaxed body movement. the one guy in hundred or thousand, whatever, that can use it, would probably whoop your ass unless you were either very good or very lucky. that **** hits hard and fucking fast and it dont stop. and taichi is used to lock and throw as well.

but like everyone says, it is rare. most people just like the qigong aspect of it(at best).

peace.

<marquee>REDANTKUNTAO</marquee>
    <marquee> INDONESIAN GUNG FU</marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I went to my first taijiquan class, after learning it was being taught as a fighting style, not just a new-age meditation, I watched the class and was considerably unimpressed by what I saw. I then spoke with the instructor and was promptly given a demonstration of it's effect and changed my mind as I picked myself up off of the floor. I found out that the "fun stuff" of learning to kill people didn't come until you had the basics of the form down. I've been studying it for almost two years now and have to vote for a most impressive complete fighting style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 8:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so nobody has a video of Tai Chi in a real fight.
    But does anybody at least has a video of a demonstration on Tai Chi being applied for Self Defense ???

There is a thin line that separates geniality from crazyness.
    After deep studies all I was able to do was to erase that line.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found various video clips, but non which I'd hold up as shining examples of taiji working against a resisting opponent. The few I've seen that may be 100% legit just shows the attacker falling over moments after contact. Then again, it could be fake. Its very hard to tell.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 9:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I have no experience in Taiji. But I'd have to say that in my opinion, unless the practitioners are going at it with 4 oz gloves and full contact, then it ain't nothing but something to do when you're old. I mean, it's basically true what Bruce Lee said; when a runner wants to show someone what he can do, he runs. So when a fighter needs to fight, he'd better be able to fight.

Plus, power = mass x velocity. Faster you go, stronger you hit. Why practice slow when you can learn to be faster and faster everyday?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast