7/05/2003 5:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black Belt magazine excerpts-

November 2002

Birth of krav maga

To prepare soldiers for combat and to instill a warrior spirit, in the 1980s the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) created a boot-camp-style hand-to-hand program called krav maga (krav means "combat" or "fight," and maga means "touch" or "contact"). Krav maga is a well-rounded hybrid system which encourages students to be aggressive and decisive in conflict. It includes hard-hitting hand and elbow strikes, thai-style knee strikes, low kicks, grappling, knife defense, gun and rifle takeaways, and lots of physical conditioning. The original concept of krav maga was to absorb any martial art that was useful by taking its most effective techniques and teaching them quickly and efficiently.

Krav maga offshoots

In late 1980s krav maga was also being taught to the Israeli public. Since everyone in that society serves in the military, most of the population had been exposed to it anyway. In fact, the name of the art became so common that it was used as loosely in Israel as the word karate is used in America. Variations sprang up everywhere. By the 1990s, everybody was claiming to be a krav maga master or a 10th degree black belt.

Some of the original instructors of krav maga got so fed up with people claiming that their krav maga was the "true-version taught to elite units" that they dropped the term krav maga from their vocabulary altogether. With so many people laying claims to the krav maga system, many veteran instructors felt a need to regulate what was, and was not, pure krav maga. Several organizations stepped up to the plate: the krav maga association, krav maga federation, krav maga union, Israeli krav maga, international krav maga federation, krav maga and so on.

A few years ago, the Wingate Institute, a respected Israeli sports organization, claimed to have the exclusive rights to krav maga for licensing and curriculum purposes. Although it was recently defeated in court, the organization is appealing to the Israeli Supreme Court. Many in the military community are outraged at the Institutes attempt to gain control of the name.

Since the commercialization of krav maga in Israel, there has been a movement away from using these terms altogether.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    7/05/2003 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear lord...I actually like this post so far. Please do some more research on the history and where it went wrong and what is now being taught.

Jeremy M. Talbott

Owner of Kungfools, Scourge of Kungfools' joke-based logic, and the Preeminent Force in putting dumbasses like him to bed
    http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/index.html
    http://www.martialscience.homestead.com/home.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2003 10:41pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great post. I hear you can become a certified Krav maga instructor by taking a 90 minute course now. Its a shame that Isreal's martial art is getting as messed up as TKD. I have a lot of respect for what the IDF has to put up with over there every day.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/05/2003 11:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have this BB issue, one of the last ones I bought. It's also one of the only good ones. Here's a link to the whole article, its a good read.
    http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/featurecontent/view.asp?article=363

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 8:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More then one inaccurate fact

I am not close to any "krav maga" group, but I do live in Israel, and so, must worn of a few inaccuracies:
    "Krav Maga" originated long before the 80's more like in the late 50's and continued developing at least into the 70's. The founder considered all M.A. worthwhile, and refused granting more then 1st degree B.B. any student whom asked for more, was required to present a new Dan ranking in another M.A. or championship of a large boxing match.

I do know in the last decade or so there was a large conflict between the successors. As to whom should be considered more senior. Instead of compromising, they separated and each went his own way, opening a new organization /federation.

I have yet to hear of a B.B. in Krav-Maga in Israel given within 90 minutes (of training), unless you are talking of an honorory rank given to a very experienced practitioner of another style (as mentioned, Krav-Maga recognized those styles legitimacy).

The Wingate institute currently holds licensing for instruction of all sports in Israel, and M.A. is just one aspect of it. They certificate Karate, Aikido & Kung-Fu instruction as well. This is due to a relatively new law, supposed to standardize and organize sports instruction.

Amir

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 9:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Krav Maga" originated long before the 80's more like in the late 50's and continued developing at least into the 70's"

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. And TKD is thousands of years old too.

---------
    Shut up and train

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KM started in the fifties after WWII

Great post. I hear you can become a certified Krav maga instructor by taking a 90 minute course now. Its a shame that Isreal's martial art is getting as messed up as TKD. I have a lot of respect for what the IDF has to put up with over there every day.
    and where did you find this?

And KF....just let it go...nobody is going to joins your little scars cult.

To each according to his need, from each according to his ability...of course, you'll probably have to beat it out of him
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And also, when you go to phase training, you are not automatically a black belt. You are only allowed to teach upto your level and test one belt below.

To each according to his need, from each according to his ability...of course, you'll probably have to beat it out of him
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    7/07/2003 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "More then one inaccurate fact"

Amir, please provide back up to your rebuttal. This is what the history section is all about. I am not saying I disagree with you, since I don't have a clue on KM history. Just present some historical facts to help us better understand.

KF actually presented one article that is presenting some history...(Good boy...here's a treat) Now he just needs to do some more research instead of depending on one source for information.

Jeremy M. Talbott

Owner of Kungfools, Scourge of Kungfools' joke-based logic, and the Preeminent Force in putting dumbasses like him to bed
    http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/index.html
    http://www.martialscience.homestead.com/home.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 11:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am afraid my sources were in Hebrew. Further, I didn't care much for them (I don't study K.M. and have no special feeling towards this M.A. I don't even intend to practice it). So I didn't keep a link.

You could look at:
    http://www.kravmaga.com/home/history/history.html

Though I must say they too have several very stupid mistakes:
    In 1950 the IDF only existed for 2 years, not 20 etc. But Imi did serve in the Armi and was the head of a section responsible for S.D. development in the 50's. He left the army in the early 60's and continued developing his theory throughout the years.

Amir
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast