Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instructor may have broken man's leg

By James W. Crawley
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 3, 2003

The Marine Corps is investigating the injury of a 21-year-old recruit, reportedly by a drill instructor at the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot.

During martial arts training June 23, a drill instructor kicked Recruit Grayson Fricke of Atlanta, breaking his lower left leg, according to his mother, Beth Fricke. After speaking with her son at the hospital, Fricke claimed the instructor's actions were abusive and improper. Surgeons at San Diego Naval Medical Center operated on Fricke a former child movie and television actor to insert pins and screws to stabilize the broken bones, she said. He is recuperating, and no decision has been made yet whether he will restart recruit training or be discharged.

"This incident is under investigation," depot spokesman Staff Sgt. Nicholas McLaren said. "At this time, it's not a criminal investigation." McLaren confirmed that Fricke was hurt during training on June 23, but said the circumstances of the injury were still being determined. Officials would not name the drill instructor, a staff sergeant. If initial questioning prompts a criminal investigation, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service probably will take over the case, McLaren said. Marine Corps rules generally don't allow drill instructors to strike or touch recruits during the 12-week training course. The recruit's mother, who flew to San Diego last week from Atlanta to visit her son, said recruits "shouldn't be kicked, they shouldn't be hit, they shouldn't be slapped."

"This isn't a wimpy kid; he's a strong kid," she added. She said her son was athletically active as a skier, golfer and swimmer. And he worked much of his life as a child actor in films and television, including "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Prince of Tides," according to a search on the Internet and newspaper archives. His mother reluctantly confirmed Fricke's show business activities, saying her son never mentioned his acting career to Marine Corps recruiters and other recruits because he didn't want people to judge him on his acting.

"They've ruined his military career," she said. "I don't know what they've done to his life and his love of skiing and golf," she said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20030703-9999_1m3recruit.html
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "This isn't a wimpy kid; he's a strong kid," she added. She said her son was athletically active as a skier, golfer and swimmer. And he worked much of his life as a child actor in films and television, including "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Prince of Tides,"
    Sounds like a ***** to me. People get hurt when they train. Get the **** over it. How did this guy become a Marine in the first place? Pussclot.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sounds like a ***** to me. People get hurt when they train. Get the **** over it. How did this guy become a Marine in the first place? Pussclot.
    With a statement such as that, it's apparent you've never had to instruct people in hand to hand combat...
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF does that mean?

People get hurt when you train hard. It happens. I'd like to think that a U.S. Marine wouldn't be such a ***** about it.

And no, I don't instruct people in hand to hand combat. And neither do you, so stop bullshiting.

And...I was poking fun at the fact that this "athletic" kid was athletic as a golfer, skiier, and swimmer. The people I know who base their athleticism on those sports tend to be pussies. (not saying that these sports aren't tough to compete in, they just don't really encompass a well rounded athlete like other sports).

p.s. Your website is gay.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And...I was poking fun at the fact that this "athletic" kid was athletic as a golfer, skiier, and swimmer. The people I know who base their athleticism on those sports tend to be pussies. (not saying that these sports aren't tough to compete in, they just don't really encompass a well rounded athlete like other sports).
    whew, good thing I bowl too.

I agree in concept, but we don't know the actual circumstances, it may have been inappropriate conduct. Also how many severe injuries occur in military h2h training, probably not a lot or we'd hear about it more. Injuries happen in any training, hopefully we don't all have our mommy crying for us.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

And no, I don't instruct people in hand to hand combat.
    Thank you for your admission of ignorance; not that we required the proof...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 1:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I don't instruct people means I'm ignorant???

You're a fucking moron.

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 1:26pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amp, just scrape the **** off the bottom of your shoe that is KungFoolss.

ps. his website more than sucks, it inhales ass!

Edited by - balloonknot on July 03 2003 13:26:51

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I DO instruct people in hand to hand combat, and I think the marine is being a *****. He broke his fucking leg, not his skull or his neck. **** happens. Besides he claims an instructor kicked him. He COULD have blocked or evaded. **** happens. I agree that the instructor was probably out of line and should face disciplinary action, but that doesn't change the fact the Gimpy McMarine was a wuss.

---------
    Shut up and train

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 1:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bet if that Marine was trained in SCARS he would have killed the instructor.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast