Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 8:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been having an argument of sorts with a friend at a local kickboxing club. He believes that on the lead jab, the lead foot pivots, much like when one throws a hook. He believes that this lends both reach and power to the strike.

However, I am of the belief that the lead foot stays flat and pointed forwards on impact. Only in circular blows like hooks do I pivot the body. My opinion is that pivoting on the front foot frees the body for rotation and adds body weight behind a hook. A similar twisting motion, though not a full pivot for throwing an uppercut to use the rising motion. However, for the life of me I cannot see the benefit of pivoting to strike with the lead jab.

I've been trying to find images of this on the net with some of the bigger names, like Mohammed Ali, Foreman, Lennox, etc on the net, but with limited success. Most images seem to focus on the hand landing, not the footwork below.

Can anyone enlighten us on this?
    Last edited by Zeddy; 8/03/2004 5:38am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends what the next technique is. I will pivot on the jab to follow up with a side kick. But not if I am following up with a reverse pucnh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends what the next technique is. I will pivot on the jab to follow up with a side kick. But not if I am following up with a reverse pucnh.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also think it depends on what your jab is meant to accomplish. Not all jabs are created equal. With the exception of Foreman and a small percentage of others the jab is not really considered to be a knockout inducing or overly damaging strike, more used to control the timing and and distance of the fight.

I'm no boxer, but I really don't think it matters much. Pivoting will probably make the jab a little slower, but it may make it a little more powerful if done correctly, although I would use more of a shuffle forward than a pivot to increase range and power of this strike.

Another possile advantage of rotation, is a defensive one. When you rotate while throwing the lead jab your face and most of your body, with the exception of your ribs of your punching side, move away from the opponent making you less open for a counter. But then again, if your jab is so slow that it is being countered all the time, you have bigger problems.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a big difference between the jab, and the lead right, or in my case, the lead left. In general, the jab is the can opener, while the cross is the spoon. That is, the jab is used to dreak down your oponent's defence, while the follo up cross does the damage. Lately, I've been working a lot on my lead left, which is sort of a commited jab, a knockout punch with my lead hand. When I throw it, I will pivot the forward foot a little bit. Pivoting it fully, like you do when you throw a hook, will considerably limit your ability to follow up on the lead punch from your back side. I would ***never*** pivot the foot in a jab, unless I'm trying to create rotation for a side kick, and that's something i would rarely, if ever, do.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 4:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pivoting makes no sense when throwing the jab.

I will experiment with it though, since you've gotten my curiosity.

Just my 2 cents.
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You pivot on a lead jab if your feet are somewhat square (like on a sudden attack) but you just step forward if you are in a guard stance.

You mainly do boxing I guess, where you fight from a stance. Try throwing a jab from a relaxed standing position and see if you don't pivot or step out a little.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 5:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pivot for reach only. Not all the time. It really is all dependant on what you're intention is.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Marasmos

Posted On:
    7/08/2003 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just realized that I screwed up left and right in my post, and I'm too lazy to fix it.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 9:50am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pivot? I always rock a bit forward onto the ball of my lead foot on a feeler jab. Make sure you're bringing your hand straight back after you jab, or you'll end up eating leather ala Chuck vs. Randy.

Then again, I don't punch on the fly. I have to be, at least momentarily, set and grounded to throw even a jab. I like to think that my footwork is pretty good though.