http://www.geocities.com/zchaw18/marine.html

Also Sifu Collins has video clips on his site:

http://www.geocities.com/zchaw18/

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 8:25am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, I think that WT would be better than the bullshit hand to hand combat that the Marines currently learn. Of course, it all depends on the curriculum that Mr Collins puts together for a shorter time of training. I guess he would be giving a WT crash course then??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 8:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes indeed. That sure beats the TKD the Iraqi soldier were studying.

"Ya can't play with my YO-YO!!!"

Titan

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO they're better off with something a bit less intricate.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The U.S. Military has been learning Wing Chun for a long time. My Sigung Brian Edwards has been teaching Army personnel and Special Forces in Fayetteville, North Carolina for many years now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about Grav Maga? (is that the right spelling) wasnt that designed for army use?
  7. SuperHappyLucky7

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey we managed to temporarily down the site! (http://www.geocities.com/zchaw18/
    )

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    7/04/2003 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The U.S. Military has been learning Wing Chun for a long time. My Sigung Brian Edwards has been teaching Army personnel and Special Forces in Fayetteville, North Carolina for many years now.
    Your understanding of military training, military hand to hand combat programs, the special operations community and contracted instructors is flawed...

The USMC's official hand to hand combat method is called the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. It is (if I recall correctly) headquartered in Okinawa, and is strongly based on classical Okinawan karate. It is an extremely rigorous program, and is far and away better than the mistakes that have come before it.

The US Army's official combatives program has been recently revamped, and in addition to a generic boxing based standing method, ground fighting/grappling techniques have been incorporated as well.

As for civilian teachers providing instruction to the armed forces in general, or to certain units in particular, different situations can arise. An installation may contract an instructor to provide services to the entire installation community (military, family members and civilian employees) at no cost or for a fee. A unit may contract an instructor on a semi-permanent or temporary basis to provide services to the members of that unit (this is most often paid for through their annual training budget). Different units may contract similar instructors, and same units may contract different instructors.

To say that the USMC, as a branch of the military, is learning Wing Chun (or any other art other than the approved MCMAP) is erroneous. One group, one unit, one installation may be availing themselves of the services of a local instructor, but that does not make that instructor an "official" instructor to the military.

If it does, then I have done some pretty impressive things in my time, since I have been teaching as long as I have been in the Army, and 90% of my students have been military...

As for the SF at Fort Bragg studying Wing Chun under someone's instructor for years, fine. Whatever. Just don't assume that that instructor is the be-all-end-all for the military. The SF folks up here at Fort Lewis study Arnis under Datu Kelly Worden, and the Rangers contract BJJ instructors and others periodically...

The only "official" programs are those I stated above. I don't know what the Navy and Air Force equivalents are, but I am sure they either have a similar "official" program, or at least contract services in a similar fashion as the USMC and the USA do to shore up other openings in their training schedule.

Gambarimasu.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    7/04/2003 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "What about Grav Maga? (is that the right spelling) wasnt that designed for army use?"

Yes, it was. However, I believe the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) is one of the few militaries in the world that makes extensive use of Krav Maga, unfortunately.

But that makes sense, since they developed it anyway. If you can get your hands on it, there's an awesome book called "Fighting Fit", by Col. David Ben Asher. It talks all about Krav Maga and the IDF's training regimen. It's a good book, anyway.

"Everybody knows...if the police have to chase you down, they're brining an ass kicking with them". - Chris Rock
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2003 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    would have to aggree with Amp on this one, since i was 11b down at Bragg and see what goes on there, WC is the best thing for the battle field i would have say.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast