Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2002 12:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    18 years now. Different styles.

Concerning breaking. I had a Kenpo instructor who did 1800 pounds (810+ kilos) of ice with a vertical elbow strike. The ice was stacked in 200 pound blocks (with no spacers, no pre-drilled holes, and no salt to soften it up, and the ice was only out of the delivery truck for 15 minutes) and he had to stand on this 4 foot high platform to get high enough to hit it. It was a great Demo and had absolutely nothing to do with real life.

Personally, I've never cared for breaking; however, I was once asked to step onto the floor during one instructor's demonstration. He was going to show me how to break boards. As part of the demonstration he handed me the plank and asked me to examine it, then he asked if I thought I could break it . . . at that point I took the board in both hands and slammed it into my forehead. It broke in two and I told the guy "yes". I don't think he really appreciated that.

And concerning greese1's opinion on heavy bags as being no better than a board all I can say is that you have never used a heavy bag properly if that is what you believe. Heavy bags allow you to hit with power while you work on yor combinations/footwork/timing etc. Additionally working heavy bags in an interval fashion, like rounds, will greatly improve your cardio if you do it with the intensity it deserves. Boards can't do that.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/28/2002 5:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >And concerning greese1's opinion on heavy bags as being no better than a board all I can say is that you have never used a heavy bag properly if that is what you believe. Heavy bags allow you to hit with power while you work on yor combinations/footwork/timing etc. Additionally working heavy bags in an interval fashion, like rounds, will greatly improve your cardio if you do it with the intensity it deserves. Boards can't do that.

So true. Plus it also conditions your body to handle the shock of impact. Which is very important. You can punch air all day long but if you body is not used to hitting something the first time you punch someone you many do more harm to yourself.

DJ your kenpo instructor wasn't Sam Kuaha was it?

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2002 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, Actually the guy was originally from Perth (SP?) Australia and taught in northern Utah for a while. Don't know where he is now although I heard he was still in Utah. Horrible businessman awesome traditional martial artist.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2002 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, in answer to the post:
    35 years, longest in Kyokushin, started in Wado, then Shotokan, Kajukenbo, Kyokuhsin, TKD, and whatever the other idiots at the rec center call what ever it is they do (try and punch me out is what they try to do.

Have always felt that it is the instructor, not the system, but now, after lots of experience, prefer the depth of traditional dojos.
    Was the kenpo guy Tom from SLC? I was almost famous when Ed Parker talked to me once there at a tournament - told me to get out of heavy weights and get in with mid weights.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    10/01/2002 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When did I say anything about a heavy bag?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345