Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2002 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My question is not how long have you been training but how long have you trained consistantly with 1 teacher? Anybody here have more than 15 years with 1 sensei, sifu, guru etc...???

Heres another querry. If you teach, how long has your most senior student been with you? I dont mean senior in terms of rank but in terms of length of time they have been at your dojo?

MF

Posted On:
    8/27/2002 6:56pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a pretty good question. I haven't trained with any one person for more than a 3 year stretch. Partly because I was in the Army, and moved around a lot, partly because I wanted to incorporate other styles into my training.

My old KF school (Grandmaster Vince Lacey's Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut/Wing Chun) was the type of school I really would have wanted to stay with for as long as I could. But I moved a few months ago, out here to KC, and it really bummed me out that I couldn't continue.

(Surprisingly enough, despite my background in KF, I still have to defend myself from the idea that people think I'm anti-TMA.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2002 7:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im nowhere near being with Relson Gracie for 15 yrs but I have been for 5 yrs.I have trained with my friend Chris for all 5 yrs and we both achieved our purplebelts the beginning of this year.
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 12:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long should you be with one teacher? .. I know Funakoshi said it would take 5 years to fully understand a single kata .. but people learn at different rates and some people just don't learn. Also, some people train 5 hours a day and others 5 hours a week. How long do you think it should take to understand all of the principles of a particular style?

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 3:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    20 years, same teacher. Three styles of external kung fu. 2 internal. he knows alot.

McDojo, is it what you do or is it what you think?
    Give to Haiti relief. text "haiti' to 90999
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TeacherMonkey?feature=mhee

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 3:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Surprisingly enough, despite my background in KF, I still have to defend myself from the idea that people think I'm anti-TMA."

maybe its the company you keep.

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 11:59am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that I'm a Christian or anything (Zen Buddhist, technically), but they've got a good way of looking at certain things.

Jesus did not chose to walk amongst the philosophers and religious figures, he chose to walk among the street trash, downtrodden, and destitute.

If you're trying to affect a change in something, don't you think it's more productive to target people that disagree with your opinion instead of limiting yourself to interact with people that don't need any convincing?

What good is preaching to the choir?

This is exactly why you'll see me argue things on KFO and other forums.

We need balanced, rational discussion here. This site is designed to reflect the opinions of the Martial Arts community. If the only people that are participating represent Mixed Martial Arts, well, how can you expect that the opinions presented will reflect anything else?

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So that's why you're bald! And here I thought it was because a hair fell out every time a Judo guy beat a BJJ guy. *cough*

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 7:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Opinion is one thing, stupidity is another. When the day comes that you actually get an intelligent conversation going here, thats when you know you've accomplished something. But that day is long to arrive. Your site, I must say, is no better than any other. In fact its worse. Most of the topics are just outright regergitations by sheepish kids.
    You say you are a CMA student yet you've only done less than three years of it. That means you were an intermediate student at best. How can you then comment on kung fu if you've never reached any real degree in it? You were still learning how to learn. You never reached the point where you understood WHY you did what you did in KF training. Which is also the problem with those whom have NEVER trained in kung fu yet they are somehow qualified to critique it. How is that REAL by any sense of the word?

I read some of the stuff you've written on other forums , its usually an arguement on why people should go to your website. That isn't an opinion, thats selfserving spam.

Edited by - kungfudoeswork on August 28 2002 19:11:52

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2002 7:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am still with my first instructor; I have been for 4 years and plan on joining a second school soon.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast