Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 7:11pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULLSHIT!

You are at the bar. Guy starts **** with you. You grab your nuts and tell him to **** off.

He shoots in. You, have been drinking. You, still have your hand on your nuts, You, still have that stupid cocky smile on your face, You, cannot make a split second decision to chamber your knee and get this guy as he's shooting in. Sorry... Can't be done. You won't be expecting it. Too many variables in a Real Fight to consider.

Thoughts. Is I right, or is I wrong?

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 7:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    even if you do knee its not guaranteed to work. And you time it to when they step and plant, or fake them out.

Or shoot lower... *shrugs*

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 7:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well I, for one, never mouth off in a bar unless I'm prepared to fight. I also wouldn't be grapping my nuts if a guy is pissed at me, I'd be prepared. Second of all, I don't like the knee defense anyway. Always attempt teh guillotine first. If you can't get it (and I think I can, especially in a bar situation) you hold on tight and drop back into a modified tomonage. Works better than the sprawl. I know some of you will doubt me, but its been tested on some of those roid head wrestling bastards I share floor space with. Works better than the sprawl. Especially if they have more mass than you.

But anyway. No I don't think the knee response will be effective.

---------
    Shut up and train

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a pretty limited defense. i have been kneed several times while shooting in and unless you are very accurate and fast it is noyhing more than an annoyance. Just learn to fight on the ground and save yourself 6 months in a cast.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd just try for the ole "One Two"....

Just quickly nail him in the nose with a jab, then, when he's stunned, follow up with a cross right across the jaw. That should drop him, or at least buy you some time or at least some distance.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 8:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup you are correct.
    When leaning on a bar and grabbing your crotch MikeyB style, it is very difficult to stop someone shooting in.

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I agree that knees probably aren't the best defense against a double-leg (I've never had a chance to try anything but the sprawl, so I'm going entirely on the experience of others), your scenario's pretty off. We still live in an America where there's pretty much two martial arts: boxing and Generic-ryu karate/TKD. The chances of you fighting someone with a good enough background in grappling to pull off a competent double-leg is outweighed by the probability of the guy clumsily trying to tackle your waist. Furthermore--and I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but that doesn't make it any less true--just randomly shooting in on someone in a crowded bar has a high probability of you getting pulled off the guy before you can do any real damage. Besides, if the reason you couldn't knee him was because he's too fast for you, hat makes you think you'd be able to sprawl? You're adding in extra variables that unfairly put the reader at a disadvantage.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 8:14pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd...

You are missing the point then. There is nothing unfair in a fight. There are so many variables in a fight, NO ONE could predict them.

I asked a question in first person. This question was brought about by reading a stud Standup TMA boy on sherdog talk about taking a grappler out in a real world scenario.

YOU NEVER KNOW what that person is capable of, and once it starts, be prepared for everything.

I got owned pretty hard this weekend by Omega, who weighs about 70lbs LESS than me, and if I saw him walking around the bar would think nothing of him being the bad ass that he is.

I just don't understand ppl who post that they can predict variables in a fight. You can't. That's why we train, to have more variables on our side than the others.

</end rant>

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "There is nothing unfair in a fight. There are so many variables in a fight, NO ONE could predict them."

Preach on, AA!!

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 8:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While you certainly can tell very little from just looking at someone in a bar (reason one for not starting **** in bars, reason two is you're undoubtadely going to cause me to spill my beer) I'd agree with Boyd that your scenario is rather unlikely. That being said if you're both drunk wouldn't both techniques be operating at the same level of compotency? also drunk the shot might be pisspoor, better allowing the knee.

I'd probably end up on my back either way...

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast