Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2003 7:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well in my case it's simple:
    I found a great Korindo Aikido teacher, from whom I learned all I knew about M.A. He also teaches Judo and Karate and the way I see it, neither art is inferior to each other.

We have several Karate B.B. of his who have decided they wish to practice Aikido as well. They didn't do that because of Philosophy: Korindo Aikido isn't attached to neither Ueshiba nor his Philosophy. They did it because my teacher teaches Korindo Aikido in a very practical manner, and they found they should complement their knowledge with this art.
    (P.S. some of them do the same thing with Judo too)

I personally have studied some Karate from my teacher, and have also went and learnt some TKD from another teacher. Since I found myself having a late timing to respond to kicks and wanted more practice in being kicked. That teacher had some practical LEO experience that changed his teaching from "Olympic TKD" to be more practical.

I am aware of the existence of Aikido teachers who like was mentioned here "Aikido to the disabled" or for health or "self development" with hardly any practical aspect. But I know they are but one group in Aikido.

As I wrote before, I know more then one student who had to use his Aikido in the street. Most of them did well, even if they were considered not so good students in the Dojo.

So stop the Bashing.

Amir

P.S.
    I don't know the SCARS system, hence I may have bashed it in mistake. assuming wrong things about it (from reading other people comments). If my assumptions were wrong, and the teaching isn't based on a short seminar and/or some tapes/books, but rather on lots of practice and sweat I apologize .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 7:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained in aikido up to 3rd kyu in a traditional style and it was definitely not like a dancing lesson where you twirl around your partners around and obliging fall over. The sessions were very physical and we always left the mats drenched in sweat. I think it is the same with most martial arts, it depends on the the instructor and the governing body it is associated with. The style I studied was 'Takemusu Aiki' which was headed up by Tomita Sensi based in Sweden. A lot of other Aikido groups found our style hard as we did not treat it as a 'dance'. We regularly used atemi in training as the initiation to a technique to put the opponent off balance and divert their attention while we applied the technique. The various holds, joint locks and throws could then also be followed up with atemi strikes to finish off an opponent. This was not always necessary because if the joint locks where applied properly it would be very difficult for your opponent to do anything and could be controlled using the pain compliance techniques associated with Aikido. Of course when you first start out learning Aikido there is a certain amount of cooperation, otherwise a beginner would never get to grips with the basics but as you progressed up the ranks you had to perfect you technique more. I have personally have had an atemi applied to me when someone was finding it difficult to apply a technique and it certainly distracts you enough to create an opening allowing them to succeed. There are many different styles of Aikido out there some very soft others quite hard, people often misinterpret the harmony aspect of Aikido as cooperation rather than blending with your opponent and using their force against them. Like other martial arts, Aikido teaches you to protect your central bodyline and move out of the danger zone and into an area where you have the advantage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 7:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido wil work if :

a) you are trained to strike and hurt the attacker prior to appying a joint lock.

b) you are trained to apply aikido techniques on resistant attackers.

Aikido has it's uses and it's flaws. Train to cover up for the flaws and it'll be usedful.

I use aikido as a less-than-lethal response, like when a friend gets drunk and violent at a party. You don't want to beat the **** out of him, but you just want to control him.

oh, and learn something else for knife defense. Aikido knife defenses suck..

Edited by - hiji kime on July 16 2003 08:00:27

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sessions were very physical and we always left the mats drenched in sweat
    that's because aikido uses heavy gis

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    i can do anuything as long as i am surrounded by twenty friends and the berimbau is playing my song
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 9:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes the gi's were heavyweight karate ones but were a very minor contributor compared to the physical exertion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 11:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido will work if

You use it correctly

Among lots of other conditions you must understand the meaning of Kuzushi and use it properly (Atemi is one form of mental Kuzushi).

Another thing one must understand is "softness" too many people miss interpreted "soft" as week/powerless. "Soft" is neither, the correct interpretation would be a combination of sensitive, adaptive and fluid motion.

When the above principles are understood well enough, you would get into a situation where "Resistance is Futile". It's almost impossible to resist and apply force when you are off balance, and even if one were to succeed in his resistance, the performer should be sensitive enough to immediately switch to a technique that uses the resistance force for it's application.

Obviously, the implementation of the above principles is not that simple. That is what makes Aikido a way of life and a very long term study. I am not even sure if all people could reach that point where they will be good enough - talent is required and a good teacher too.

similar principles exist in most serious M.A. I have heard of at the high level. The main flaw of aikido is the success is more strongly dependent on those then in some of the other M.A.

Amir

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>quote:
    that's because aikido uses heavy gis

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    i can do anuything as long as i am surrounded by twenty friends and the berimbau is playing my song
    <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote>

very funny! In our Aikido school it is because we don't have any air conditioning. But seriously we do practice pretty hard, it is comparable to full judo randori at times.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was kidding...in BJJ we wear heavy gis and i start sweating before we even role (no A/C either)

There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is very true, those gis make you sweat quick. But they are still better than those cheap karate gis that just stick to your body, at least the heavy gis stand away from your body more for circulation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 7:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well

Our dojo has the tendency to be that hot and humid, you sweat even before you change to Gi.

No A/C, top floor and the roof is old and isn't maintained well enough. Add to that the above 30 degs C and 60% humidity of most summer days (It can get much worse - ~40 degs and 85% at times). Then add the and heat humidity the previous class generated.
    And you can realize we have to practice in a steam bath some-days. Actually, it forces us to slow down on the really hot days.

Amir
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678