Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 11:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it funny when one who doesn't practice an art, has so many comments about it :-)

It's even funnier when a Krav-Maga Practitioner, starts pouring on Aikido. Considering his system founder sent students to learn Aikido, so he could combine some of the techniques they learnt in Krav-Maga !
    Besides, if there is one sure point, it is that Aimi wouldn't even think about dismissing any M.A. in this way.

I practice a very uncommon style of Aikido, and it is very effective. But I have also seen a fe people who practice the common styles of Aikido and can use it well for S.D.

I'll agree with you that Aikido has a large infestation of people who doesn't even care to learn to defend themselves. They have their own organization etc. But I would be very careful from generalizing this statement over all Aikido practitioners world wide.

Amir

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 11:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aren't there different aikido organizations that are more combat-oriented? anyone have info on that?
    There so so many Aiido organizations you would not believe it, to see go to my Aikido page at http://www.mywebdimension.com/aikido to see the huge listing. This is why people sound like such idiots when they comment about Aikido as a whole when they don't know what they are talking about. The better organizations that focus on hard aplication rather than soft fluffy stuff are the following, generally. You will find some exceptions at some dojos.

http://www.asu.org/
    http://www.yoshinkan-aikido.org/
    http://www.yoseikanbudo.com/
    http://www.takemusu.org/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:15pm

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, the organisation I study under is on the list. Softer style of Aikido than the ones youve mentioned Micheal.

So do you study Yoshinkan? I do Ki Aikido myself, but they dont advertise that they teach self defence, which I am perfectly happy with. We dont get a lot of the 'ard morons, although we have our share of basket weavers but they dont usually get very far.... phew.... lol.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amir, if you haven't noticed, my main post isn't on the effectiveness of aikido techniques, but on the way it is taught at (for me many, for some most) dojo. In two rather 'reputable' aikido dojo here, they do not even do strikes as a preparation to grappling. Then they say that strikes are 'implied'. But if you don't know any strikes, how can you extricate them from the techniques? There also tends to be an elitism i've only seen in aikido (and SCARS hahaha), but have not seen in many other arts.

Krav schools differ, but not much aikido grappling goes on at my school. You don't use two hands of yours to grab onto one of the other. I have learned some aikido techniques and have leanred quite a bit of theory which i have been able to apply to both my krav and bjj training. But that doesn't mean the schools here are teaching people to defend themselves.

To each according to his need, from each according to his ability...of course, you'll probably have to beat it out of him
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AND PLEASE READ MY POSTS BEFORE YOU MAKE RASH JUDGEMENTS...when somebody kind of attacked aikido as a whole i wrote:
    oh, i think aikido is very effective when combined with some agression and striking...but many (not all) dojo and aikidoka prefer to atemi baskets in their basket weaving classes
    Notice i said many, not most and definitely not all

To each according to his need, from each according to his ability...of course, you'll probably have to beat it out of him

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I study at an ASU dojo, our technique is more linear than circular and it emphasizing striking (atemi) to set up throws. We also experiment with a wide range of techniques that many would not consider typical Aikido.

As I said they are exceptions there are some dojos within those few organzations that are soft and there are some with the softer organizations that are hard style. Many are basketweavers at some dojos and some dojos have alot of law enforcement types, it just depends.

Anyway, Aikido needs to be supplemented with another art like Judo, BJJ or a striking art since most of us here already know that one art in itself is usually not enough to make you a good fighter. Aikido teached many great principles and movements that can be carried over to any style.

Edited by - Michael Neal on July 03 2003 12:37:54

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's all i was saying...that there is not alot of striking or (in my case) being struck in most dojo. (Which has nothing to do with aikido effectiveness, but practioner's effectiveness)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's all i was saying...that there is not alot of striking or (in my case) being struck in most dojo. (Which has nothing to do with aikido effectiveness, but practioner's effectiveness)
    I think it might have something to do with its effectiveness since the off balancing required to achieve most throws on a resisting partner often requires atemi.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you strike in order to grapple in order to strike in order to grapple....etc.

I agree with that...i was saying that i have not seen alot of bruises coming from atemi in the aikido dojo i have been to

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2003 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KI Aikido is really not know for its striking so there you go.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast