Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/25/2003 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright first for a bit of background -

I have been doing WT since I came to Germany three years ago. Before that, I practiced BJJ with Carlos Machado in Dallas for a little over a year. Unfortunatley, I could not find any BJJ schools in Germany, so I took up WT/Escrima instead (A whole 'nother saga). So . . . fast foward to NOW - I found a gym that teaches BJJ here and signed up a few months ago. Before I signed up, I spoke with the trainer and he told me about the gym and showed me some of the other classes they teach. When he found out about my WT experience, he told me he took WT for about three years too and also taught a JKD class. He said I might like JKD and invited me to try it as well. I asked for a Bullshido opinion here, and for the most part people approved.

Please let me preface this by saying. . .

I DON'T KNOW CRAP ABOUT JKD.

My experience:

The whole class lasted about an hour. I took it with some guys who looked like MA beginners, but that was cool, since I didn't know what the **** I was doing anyway.

We started with a series of punch/kick drills and combinations on pads. The whole trapping aspect of WT was there and used WT moves with WT names, but it was not so overly concerned with putting your hand in the perfect Tan Sao position. It was trying to just get the job done. Okay cool, nice drills . . .

Next we did so basic impulse drills, just like you do in WT. The one we spent most of our time on was the "ball and socket". In this drill, you opponent pushes or pulls your hand out of the way and you must snap it back and try to do it without moving your whole arm. The idea is that you keep the elbow stationary and just move the forearm. (I hope I explained that correctly)

Most of the hand work was pretty easy for me since I did WT, but the footwork was much different. Instead of dragging my back foot behind me WT style, the stance looked kinda like a fencing stance or a TKD "T" stance but with forward pressure.

Okay that was nice, now when the **** do I sweat and spar? Never happened. Unfortunately, we ended with that drill. Some people have alot of patience and are cool with doing an hour worth of drills.

I am not.

This was the exact reason I left WT. It was strange how I never realized this until I was actually gone. BUT I JUST DIDN'T SWEAT ENOUGH in my WT class. Okay, sometimes I did- but I NEED that everytime, not just when the instructor doesn't want to focus on a Chi Sao.

It seemed to me, with my limited try, that JKD would be good for a short quick counter striking when you are not really expecting an attack, but that's it.

Don't worry, the pain and suffering was quickly coming. . .

The instructor that taught the JKD class then proceed to kick the living **** out of me in our Shooto class. This guy, Finn, learned Shooto with Paulsen(sp) and also did Machado BJJ.

In short, I don't think JKD is for me. Although, in fairness to Finn since he is a hella MA and quite cool, I should ask him about sparring in the JKD class. Maybe everyone was just too new . . . but still, all the new guys spar in our Shooto and BJJ classes . . .

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

***ned

Posted On:
    6/25/2003 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shooto & BJJ > JKD

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2003 5:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good for u bro, u should come down to north carolina USA for a good sweat, hell you sweat down here walking around, with 95degrees and 90+ percent huminity sometimes. lol.

Posted On:
    6/26/2003 8:52am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The whole trapping aspect of WT was there and used WT moves with WT names, "
    Both ARE Chinese martial arts....

"The idea is that you keep the elbow stationary and just move the forearm. (I hope I explained that correctly)"
    if seen stuff like that on www.chihand.com

sounds like a funny instructor, hehehe

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

www.despair.com
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2003 9:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like a good school. Ask about sparring in your JKD class for sure. If you start sparring there, it might get really interesting. Otherwise, you're in the (apparently) right place anyway for stuff you enjoy.

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 6:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! I have to add this- someone posted to my old thread about getting opinions of JKD at my school

http://www.bullshido.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4303&FORUM_ID=12&CAT_ID =11&Topic_Title=My+first+JKD+class&Forum_T itle=Mixed+Martial+Arts+Discussion

Anyway, I wanted to add that I did ask the instructor about sparing. He told me that the JKD class has alot of beginners in it, so they never spar. Instead, when someone is advanced enough, he sends them to the Shooto class instead! Just thought you guys might get a kick out of that . . .

***ned

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about just STARTING in the Shooto class?

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 3:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, what you took wasn't a JKD class. In fact, any classes anyone takes that is labeled "Jeet Kune Do" is not either. Most of the schools are just milking the name, and getting a "certificate" from Dan Inosanto or whoever doesn't mean ****. JKD from what I understand was a philosophy, an approach to adopt when decides to get involved in Martial Art. What JKD now is a bunch of effective techniques from other styles, also known as cross training. Although it may be effective, it still isn't JKD.

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 4:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JMSJedi : You maybe right- I really have no idea. I do know that the guy I am training under is quite good at MA in general in addition to be an excellent teacher, so I trust what he teaches. Like I said, the stuff I learned seemed good for quick, short counters when someone is suprised. Hardly seemed useful against fully resisting and prepared opponents. As to what is authentic or whether it is JKD or not, I couldn't give a ****. I just want to know what works. What I really really really enjoy is the Shooto stuff.

Deus : My instructor generally likes to keep the Shooto class at a high level, so he usually wants people to have either at least a developed standup or ground ground game before they start the Shooto class. However, if someone really wants to start off in it, I imagine he would take them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2003 6:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "As to what is authentic or whether it is JKD or not, I couldn't give a ****"

Lol ok, just trying to clue you in.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast