Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/01/2003 12:33am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And BTW Dochter, I totally agree. Pullups are a MUST.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2003 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost:
    >(I don't overdo bicep training because overdeveloped biceps tend to >slow down punching from what I've noticed in myself and others).

Article from CHarles Staley:
    Strengthening the Antagonists and Stabilizers

Muscles work in pairs- for every muscle in the body, there is another muscle that is capable of opposing its force. This "pairing" mechanism is how we are able to move with precision of movement and speed. However, when one part of this pair becomes too strong in relation to the other, force output capability suffers.

Unfortunately, many athletes unknowingly reinforce this imbalance every time they train, thinking they are respecting the principle of specificity by training only the prime movers (or "agonists"). An example would be a martial artist who reasons that since the quadriceps muscle extends the leg during kicking, the quadriceps should receive the brunt of the training focus. Before long, the hamstrings (which are the antagonists in kicking movements) are weak in proportion to the quads, and power output declines. At this point, the student may conclude that weight training "slows you down," because for him, it did.

Here's the problem in the above example: the weaker the antagonists are, the sooner they will contract and oppose the prime movers (to prevent joint hyperextension), resulting in a slower movement. But stronger antagonists are less sensitive to this protective response- the body "knows" that they are strong enough to decelerate the limb at the last possible moment. The next time you watch elite boxers on TV, notice the development of the lats and biceps. Great punchers always have well developed antagonists.

Insufficient stabilizer strength also limits power output, for very similar reasons. Stabilizers are muscles which anchor or immobilize one part of the body, allowing another part (usually the limbs) to exert force. The most important stabilizers are those of the trunk- the abdominals and trunk extensors. If the motor cortex detects that it can't stabilize the force provided by the prime movers, it simply won't allow the prime mover to contract with full force. In other words, the force output of the prime movers is limited by the strength of the stabilizer muscles.

So according to that, having well developed bi-cepts (and back) should speed up punching. Thought you might like another opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2003 12:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh sorry, the rest of that article is here:

http://www.myodynamics.com/articles/m.a.strength.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2003 5:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    u guys train hard. I feel bad :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2003 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm...I just teach lessons 50 hours a week and run 3 miles every other day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2003 5:54pm

Style: Boxing and Moo Duk Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend using free weights only, they are more compound movements invloved. Some workouts require them though. I also hit the bag after bench pressing and also jump rope after squats and calf raises.

I work chest, tricep, abs on monday and friday.

wednesday and saturday shoulders, biceps, and fourarms.

tuesday and thursday, legs, calf, and back.

I take Sundays off and don't run much because of flat feet I got stress fractures to much.

I would but a lot of emphasise on bench press, military press, squats, and deadlifts. Supplement creatine and BCAA's by protein supplements. (YOULL HEAL FASTER BETWEEN WORKOUTS.)

Posted On:
    8/15/2003 6:00pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Good stuff Paralax.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2003 7:02pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My workout routine this week:

Monday: 6pm 1 hour GJJ
    Tuesday: 5pm 1 hour GJJ
    Wednesday: 6pm 1 hour GJJ
    Thursday: 9am 30 minutes Private Class GJJ
    Saturday: 10am 1 hour GJJ
    I'm gonna take Friday off and Sunday they Academy is closed.

I have become the ultimate nutrider. I have also started the Gracie Diet. I got a little sick with stomach flu about 2 weeks ago, Rorion sat me down for 45 minutes, gave me the paperwork to read on what to eat and explained to me what I need to do with the Gracie Diet. This is the same diet as Helio eats, and he's 91!

Btw, I'm down to 245lbs. So it's working coupled with the training.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

***ned

Posted On:
    8/16/2003 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHAT THE ****!? ANTHONY IS THINNER THAN ME!@?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!oOoOooOOOoO!!!!!

(get's a hose and a knife to start home liposuction)

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

"Deus practices the love that dare not speak its name." - Samuel Browning

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2003 12:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Boyd, for doing crunches people usually hold plates if you want more resistance.

I like to do pushups, abdominal bridges, squats, deadlifts, sumo deadlifts and straight legged deadlifts without weight. Anything else I am too lazy to bother with. Maximum time working out a day-half an hour.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast