Posted On:
    6/28/2003 9:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how do pull ups do your shoulders?

Just try upright rows...

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 9:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you have to use your shoulders to flex the trapezius muscles which pull you up.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 10:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The trapezius muscle doesn't pull you up when doing pullups, the Latissimus Dorsi does. The biceps play a secondary role in that they flex the arm. The trapzeius might paly a teriary role.... but it's main use is the motion of shrugging your shoulders. Pullups do work the rear deltoids a little bit.... but you're better of doing any variety of presses or raises for that.

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
    (in order; all iron exercises done ideally in three sets of ten, give or take. Bodyweights done in three sets, to failure)
    Bench
    Flyes
    Dips
    Pushups
    Lateral raises
    Shrugs
    Military Press OR Upright Rows
    Hindu Pushups
    Kickbacks
    Skullcrushers/French Press

Wednesday: Back, Biceps, and Forearms. Also the day where nothing really happens.
    Pull-ups (medium grip)
    Dumbell rows
    Barbell rows
    Hammer curl
    Standing dumbell curl
    Reverse Curls
    Weighted wrist rotations

Friday: Legs, lower back (the day where I kick ass and take names)
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Forward Lunges
    (the next three exercises are done as one uberset)
    Calf presses
    Leg extensions
    Standing hamstring curls
    Hindu Squats

Abs are trained three times a week in the form of inclined crunches. (Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I'm considering putting a weight on my chest for extra resistence; that's not going to **** up my lower back, is it?) Cardio I've been slacking on lately; I'm already too thin, and I've got naturally great stamina. Same for flexibility. I'm trying to get back into my groove, though; I'll usually do about an hour and a half of cardio a week, sometimes more. Pretty much always in the form of heavybag drills.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 2:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The trapezius muscle doesn't pull you up when doing pullups, the Latissimus Dorsi does. The biceps play a secondary role in that they flex the arm. The trapzeius might paly a teriary role.... but it's main use is the motion of shrugging your shoulders. Pullups do work the rear deltoids a little bit.... but you're better of doing any variety of presses or raises for that.
    Pull-ups are probably one of the most important exercises you can do, regardless of whether or not you primarily do weights or body weight. Lat pulldowns just don't cut it either.

Boyd, you've referred in the past to your problems with making strength gains. One problem may be that you are way over training (IMO). I'd think that you would be better in splitting up your workouts more.

Also when I combine muscle groups for working out I like to work opposing muscle groups (ex. back and chest, bi's and tri's). Otherwise on set of muscles is going to invariably get shortchanged. If you're still building strength it probably won't matter but it might break you out of plateaus.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 2:33am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I recently broke out of a minor plateau regarding my chest, tri's and shoulders. I'm improving, just very slowly. That, I guess, is to be expected when you're seventeen and never eat. My legs fucking rock. I'm adding 12-16 pounds to my squat and deadlift A WEEK, and I feel great.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 5:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering if the TotalGym is any good? Anybody use it? Of course, the adverts make it look phenominal but I want some real opinions please.

Thanks.

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad used to have a Total Gym, and I used it a fair amount. It's good for what it is... but it soon begins to lack the ability to give you enough resistance. At first it's going to be great, but once you get stronger, you'll need more. If you want a home machine, and can spend a little more money, you're much better off with a Bowflex (another one I've used)

- The Wastrel

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    6/30/2003 10:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are thinking about a home gym, just buy a barbell and plates.

Thats all you need when strength training.
    Most everything else was designed to get people into gyms.

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    7/01/2003 12:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with FoM. But you'll also need a rack of some kind or else you won't be able to do the most fundamental exercises (bench press, squat) because these either require a rack with pins if you're doing freeweights, or a spotter.

I bring this issue up because I assume by the fact he's looking into an all in one gym, that he'll be working out alone.

- The Wastrel
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast