Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 7:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you guys are close but just a little off. Let me break down a few things for you.
    You need a gallon of water a day for more than replenishing your fluids. First, you need it to help keep lactic acid from building in your muscle which helps cause pain. Also your muscle are filled with water to build them selves which is why creatine works so well, it floods your muscles with water. If you take creatine you need to absolutely ge at least one gallon and preferably more of water a day. Take the creatine once in the morning and once post workout with some sort of sucrose(like grape juice). Also add glutamine to your drink. It'll help ease any muscle soreness and allow you to work harder for longer periods of time. As for protein take in at least 1-2 grams per pound yu weigh to help ensure you don't fall into catabolism. Also cut fat from your diet and get your fat from flax seed oil and peanut butter(2 tbsp a day)....this help ensure joints don't get hurt and keep up important fatty acids. A really good way to reduce pain is to train on an empty stomache(unless you train late at night) and to eat a bannana every night to bring potassium levels up to really reduce pain.
    Also, whoever said drink gatorade, unfortunately you're dead wrong. Electrolytes are functional for brain activity but your diet already has more than enough that you'll NEVER go into depletion so why bother worrying about it? It's a scientifically proven fact. Electrolytes are common salts such as sodium, and you know you get too much of those anyway.Hope that helps!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where oh where is ForM on this one? Even though I don't totally agree with him this supplement fest must be given an alternate viewpoint.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know more than enough about supplements. My trainer has 3 degrees in microbioloy and nutrition.....so he knows everything he needs to know and I do via him.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I get real exhausted after doing physical labor I get a real short-fuzed temper and get pissed off way too easy. Anyone get that, or know wtf it is?

I also talk real quick and snappy. Weird..

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's a mix of adrenaline and testosterone. Testosterones levels rise right after working out, and make men more irritable. The adrenaline is making your nervous system speed up.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 9:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know more than enough about supplements. My trainer has 3 degrees in microbioloy and nutrition.....so he knows everything he needs to know and I do via him.

Personal trainers, bastions of valid information or purveyors of current trends and facility product lines?

While I think there is something to them (even if its little more than placebo effects) there have been numerous postings here and elsewhere showing that there are little to no scientifically verifiable effects provided by the majority of supplements.

Additionally where did this trainer get these degrees, through what organization is he certified as a trainer and what is his commission on the supplements that he sells?

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 10:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My trainer has his degrees in Microbiology from Penn State. He has his degree in nutrition from Florida State. I'm not sure his about who he got his certification from. He doesn't sell me supplements so he doesn't get any commission.

I can find out his cert. on monday if you want since that's when I'll see him next.

As far as these posts and articles that refute the scientific advantages of supplements, where are they? How come only body builders who follow exact regimens of supplements and diets are physically, larger and stronger than those who are all natural?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 2:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How come only body builders who follow exact regimens of supplements and diets are physically, larger and stronger than those who are all natural?
    Steroids maybe? Look, I think a lot of supplements confer some benefits and in conjunction with good diet and training you'll of course see great results but it then becomes hard to separate the main casual agent in it all. I personally felt I had improved recovery while taking eas's betagen but the cost made it not worthwhile for what I want.

As far as articles about supplements do a search here for the poster "FingerOrMoon" and the subject creatine. He's got scientific articles, from reputable sources coming out of his ears. The bulk of sci. evidence seems to refute much in the way of advertised benefits, those that don't show close links to manufacturers, itís a case of good marketing and a questionable product, which is what this site is about in many ways.

Iím actually a proponent of some supplementation (particularly protein as it can help remedy certain diet choice issues Iíll otherwise make) but feel that opposing views help provide a more balanced perspective, that is why I wanted a certain individual to post.

As far as your trainer goes you are obviously a far more lucky or wealthier individual than I. All the trainers at any of the gyms Iíve been to have been less than knowledgeable and simply crank out the chainís fitness program which while probably good for newly working out folks is inefficient for those whoíve been working out for long. The fallback position for any of these trainers is to recite the latest fad workout from muscle and fitness but have no idea about human physiology. With only a smattering of physio, nutrition and biochemistry from undergraduate study I can figure out more than they know. Of course they all juice and then starve themselves for bodybuilding comps so who would listen to me?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 2:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure his about who he got his certification from. He doesn't sell me supplements so he doesn't get any commission.

I can find out his cert. on monday if you want since that's when I'll see him next.
    P.S. Don't bother for me, as I said I was working off of my frwme of reference, which as I said was dismal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2003 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh ok. Anyways, when I meant those who follow supplemental regiments I didn't mean those who use steroids. I mean those who just use food and those who use supps. in conjunction with food. I'm gonna go check out the articles, I ca post some great articles though, that I've found which explains the benefits of creatine and protein and other supplements. It's a matter of personal preference but even with myself I've noticed supplements are huge in helping. I've just got done with my cutting phase so I'm at 215 poundw tih 5% bf. I usually walk around 230-ish with about 10% bf. I don't think that I'd be able to do that at least as easily without supplements to help prevent severe catabolism.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast