Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two meanings of defense

Huntington lawyer also teaches at martial arts school

By ROBYN RISON - The Herald-Dispatch

Lori Wolfe/The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- By day, Ashley Lockwood defends people as a Cabell County Public Defender. By night, he teaches people how to defend themselves at the Ground Zero Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Huntington. "It does seem kind of weird," he said. "I sometimes defend people who are accused of assaulting someone and I teach people how to defend themselves if theyíre being assaulted."

Lockwood, 32, is the head instructor at Ground Zero Jiu-Jitsu, which is part of the Huntington Martial Arts Academy located on 4th Avenue above the Rio Grande Restaurant. Lockwood has won seven gold and two silver medals in his competitive career. His and Ground Zeroís focus is on Brazilian jiu-jitsu, a relatively new form of martial arts that focuses on ground fighting and cross training a variety of fighting forms such as judo, boxing and submission wrestling. The sport does not rely on strength, power or speed, but rather positioning, leverage and technique. "Our school is different from others because weíre not limited to one of the martial arts," Lockwood said. "We have a professional boxer, state champion wrestlers and judo black belts working with us. We incorporate a bunch of different skills because a fight is not limited to one aspect. Itís not realistic in the street."

Lockwood, who is a certified purple belt instructor under the Jorge Gurgel Jiu-Jitsu Academy, did point out that one of the key similarities between what he teaches and other forms of martial arts is that his students donít look for fights. They do participate and have been very successful at regional and national competitions, but the idea is to teach a practical form of self defense. Because most fighting tends to end with the people on the ground, it is equally important to be able to maintain oneís skills after being taken down. "The statistics say that 95 percent of all fights hit the ground at some point," Lockwood said. "So BJJ focuses on what to do when it hits the ground. If youíre not trained youíre lost. Once a boxer is on the ground he canít fight." Itís a skill that Lockwood developed an interest in by watching the popular Ultimate Fighting Championship which pits fighters in a no-rules type of event. After spending a couple of years studying and literally teaching himself on a tarp in his backyard, Lockwood got serious and some actual training.

Lockwood doesnít recommend his particular path of self-training, but he believes everyone should have some base knowledge of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. He and some other instructors at the academy offer rape-prevention and general self-defense seminars for women. Although most of the participants are male, Lockwood said for self-defense purposes, women should strongly consider this form of training. Jeremy Walters, 24, of Ceredo-Kenova, is a police officer and has been training at the academy for about three years. "Itís excellent training for a police officer," he said. "Itís good for when youíre in close quarters or in face-to-face situations. You can control a situation without mace or a gun. "And I love it here. Ashleyís awesome and itís like a big family. I recommend this for everybody. My 3-year-old daughter has learned and can name some of the moves. If she can learn it, anybody can learn it." The fact that anyone -- male or female, young or old -- can learn such a practical skill is one of the reasons that Lockwood has continued his work with the sport. The retention rate for his students is pretty high, but thatís not what Lockwood focuses on.

"We have some that come for several months and then walk away, but the lessons you learn here you keep for a lifetime," he said. "Youíre skills may get rusty, but the techniques last for a lifetime." Lockwood said his desire is simply to provide competent instruction so people can learn Brazilian jiu-jitsu the right way, the first time. Whether a student has had other forms of martial arts training or none all, whether itís for competition or self-defense, or if it is just to make new friends and find a new hobby, Lockwood said the Ground Zero Jiu-Jitsu Academy is the way to go.

To find out more about the sport, the instructors or how to get involved call the academy at (304) 522-7088 or check the web site www.gzfs.8m.com. Huntington resident Ashley Lockwood, who works as an attorney in the public defenders office, represents a client in Magistrate Court last week at the Cabell County Courthouse in Huntington.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/2003/June/24/LNlist4.htm
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/24/2003 9:09am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Once a boxer is on the ground he canít fight."
    That's as ignorant as saying a BJJ guy can't fight while standing up.

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    "I'd rather lie in a pool of sweat, than a pool of blood."
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Motorboatin SOB

Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/24/2003 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he can't fight as a boxer.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2003 1:36pm

Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a side note, it could be a really good idea to have a defense attorney as a martial arts instructor. There is alot to be learned on what you should and shouldn't do during and after an altercation. Knowing the stupid but true laws are just as important as knowing the common sense laws as far as keeping you away from jail goes. That and you have at least one lawyer you know, heh.

Wyatt

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    VeteranRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/24/2003 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi to all. This is my first post but I have been reading threads for several months. Don't know exactly who authored this article, but I have read in other articles that the last place that a police officer wants to be is on the ground. With full equipment, a vest, and crap hanging all over you for someone to grab and shoot/beat/spray you with the guard would be a bad place to be.

just my opinion

"Progress comes to those who train and train. Reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere." --O-Sensei

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/24/2003 3:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Not especially effectively anyway."
    they can still fight......

--
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    6/24/2003 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Once a boxer is on the ground he canít fight."
    That's as ignorant as saying a BJJ guy can't fight while standing up.

--
    what do u mean "as ignorant as saying" u mean "as accurate a saying"

Do Be Open-minded
    Don't Be Gullible

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    6/24/2003 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did you post this Kungfoolss ?

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/24/2003 6:22pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "95% of fights end up on the ground"
    Like to know where he got that statistic from. Over the years I've had to use my skills several times in various situations, and I was never taken to the ground. And those situations were before I started training in grappling. I guess I most be the 5% exception. Now I know I'll get a lot of smart ass answers back to my post, but you people would have to admit that his stament was pretty general. Even if you look at the UFC and Pride fights you'll see strikers beating grapplers without going to the ground. Every situation you encounter is different, you might end up on the ground or you might not. I train in both, and I enjoy both. I don't think one is better then the other.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    6/25/2003 1:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did you post this Kungfoolss ?
    Hmmm, I suppose because the MA's child molesters haven't been caught yet.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast