judo and bjj and good styles

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I reread my post and I see how it could be confusing. In my experience (3 years training/competing in the Southwest), I have noticed that BJJ guys tend to have not-so-great takedowns and they love working from the guard, sometimes to the point of just doing a butt-flop and pulling their opponent on top of them. That kind of strategy does not strike me as 'positional dominance'. However, once BJJ guys get you in their guard, they are very good at keeping you there and going for submission after submission after submission. . . I would classify that as 'positional control w/technical skill'.
    What, you now ask, would you qualify as 'positional dominance' then? To me, that would be more of the MMA/Sub Wrestling school of thought i.e. getting the takedown, getting full mount, back mount, side mount or north/south (in other words, NOT getting caught up in guard or half-guard) and either A) going for submissions right away or B) working the ol' ground-n-pound to open up some submission opporitunities or inflict damage. In either case, you 'dominate' your opponent with your position and force him to expend energy from the bottom. Tends to be more 'wrestling'-like in application. Pro-fighters like Matt Hughes, Tito Ortiz and Randy Coutoure are prime examples of this idea.

Someone mentioned the theory behind catch-wrestling (going for the submission/crank/hook/whatever, without worrying about position). Personally, I think you are taking a big gamble fighting like that. If you pull it off, great, you're the man. If the unexpected happens and you **** up the move, and that happens a lot in sparring and fights, you will be SOL. Going for submissions from a dominant position takes longer, but it gives you some breathing space if you screw something up. Just my .02 cents.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2003 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I reread my post and I see how it could be confusing. In my experience (3 years training/competing in the Southwest), I have noticed that BJJ guys tend to have not-so-great takedowns and they love working from the guard, sometimes to the point of just doing a butt-flop and pulling their opponent on top of them. That kind of strategy does not strike me as 'positional dominance'. However, once BJJ guys get you in their guard, they are very good at keeping you there and going for submission after submission after submission. . . I would classify that as 'positional control w/technical skill'
    maybe for sport, at my school we do train standing up at times and you try not to go down until YOU want to...we'd never fall down and hope we catch someone...we are not venus fly traps.