Sponsored Links Spacer Image

***ned

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'd THINK this is a n00bie topic. And maybe it is. But I'm a God among men.

What are some fundamental differences you've experienced in your respective grappling styles? Here are some of my observations.

::Shooto::
    Very aggressive. Focus is put on GETTING THAT SUBMISSION. The idea is that the first person to hit is usually the winner (in general). So the focus is very much on the attack, and continuing the attack.

::BJJ::
    First thing they teach you: positional escapes. Lots of focus on transitioning and flowing. Lots of focus on positional dominance as well.

::Judo::
    Unfortunately, I had a pretty bad judo experience in terms of groundwork, but some observations: Pin-oriented in that once you get the pin, you don't HAVE to go for the submission to win. I find that a lot of judoka have a very static style. By static I mean that once superior positioning is found, there is very little movement.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if I would paint BJJ as being an art of 'positional dominance'. Most BJJ guys I've rolled with were pretty non-chalant about being taken down and starting from guard or half guard. I would say one of the main strengths of BJJ is sheer technical skill and position control (as opposed to dominance).

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    position control (as opposed to dominance)
    I thought that was pretty much the same thing?

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, most BJJ books seem to talk about positional dominance as being the general strategy.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 6:13pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone have enough experience with catch wrestling to comment on this? I'm really interested in it... At least as Tony Cecchine teaches it, it doesn't have to do with positional dominance. He claims to focus more on controlling the opponent from whatever position you are in (he calls positional dominance a myth).

He carries a gun.
    THE Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    A man with a plan.

Edited by - mikus on June 20 2003 18:22:32
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 6:19pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ref BJJ, positional dominance is key. The steps to it are what makes BJJ special.

Ralek told me one time, the only position to be in is the mount, nothing else.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado

Edited by - anthony_a on June 20 2003 18:30:03
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 8:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Unfortunately, I had a pretty bad judo experience in terms of groundwork, but some observations: Pin-oriented in that once you get the pin, you don't HAVE to go for the submission to win. I find that a lot of judoka have a very static style. By static I mean that once superior positioning is found, there is very little movement."

Okay so basically you're saying you want to be the big man and start poking your opponent in the asshole while he's pinned?

Edited by - Middlemoor on June 20 2003 20:22:57

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 8:27pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "position control (as opposed to dominance)"
    yes and no...
    wouldn't the top position be considered "dominant"?
    then you could be in guard and be more in control

i don't know what i'm talking about

"Okay so basically you're saying you want to be the big man and start poking your opponent in the asshole while he's pinned?"
    wtf?

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    "I'd rather lie in a pool of sweat, than a pool of blood."
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 8:27pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there something wrong with that Middlemoor?

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing wrong with it if you're trying to seperate two dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast