Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 4:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last night I went to a MT school, to catch some free training. I'm also looking for new techniques and some cross sparring experience.

Anyway, last night's school was horrible. All of those guys had an attitude problem and their teacher sucked monkey butt. Don't get me wrong, every one of those guys was good, I got my ass handed to me a few times, but I did not like the environment at all. Not the first time that I've had that feeling at a MT school.

I got to numerous school for some cross training experience, be it Kung Fu, Jiu Jitsu or whatever, and I have yet to meet people with an attitude problem at those schools.

It almost seems that MT attracts people with attitude, but I could be wrong.

As for sparring, they were good, everyone of them. MT's focus on power over speed was very evident, I was able to hit them occasionally with a fast punch or kick, but wearing those 16oz gloves didn't make that easier. I wasn't allowed to wear my own gloves, because their teacher qualified me as a heavy weight. So I had to wear 16oz gloves and that kind of killed my punching technique/speed.

Also, wearing gloves that big really limits your offensive options. My best punch, a leading jab, gets nullified by it. I can throw a jab really fast, w/o telegraphing it. I got those guys blinking every once in a while when they opened their guard a little and I would connect on the jab-cross-roundhouse combo.

Got to admit though, MT has hands down, the best conditioning there is. Kudos where kudos is due.

Simps

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 6:14am

Style: EC, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of interest what techniques did you use to "block" low round kicks to the shin/knee?

I have a couple of people who cross train in MT at my class and stopping those low kicks is a problem. I usually check the leg with a low MT style block and crash in on them. But the bruises sustained from doing that are far from pleasant.

Any advice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 6:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, consider this ... if you don't block them, it will result in much more severe bruises :)

What I usually use, is counter kicking. That means that I usually raise my foot to kick on their knee, but it's a stop kick. If you're fast enough, it works wonders.

Depending on stance, find out what your best leg to do that is. Usually the opposite leg is best, but try it out and see how you like it. It's highly situational.

Remember, it's a stop kick, it doesn't have to be hard and all you have to do is tap their knee, with the bottom of your foot. Make sure that it's fast though :)

Simps

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 8:06am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    muay thai is a very aggressive art. it tends to attract or foster a 'dominate' attitude. kick their ass a couple a times and they will chill out.

against the low kick use the stop like Simps said. or try moving in a hitting his head as he goes to kick as you move offline a little.

try a heel kick stop to his instep, then a high level punch.

or as he kicks, jump over it with a 720 and hurricane kick him in the head.

muay thai is good stuff.

peace.

<marquee>REDANTKUNTAO</marquee>
    <marquee> INDONESIAN GUNG FU</marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 8:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there lies a problem ... I wasn't kicking their ass, I was getting my ass kicked.

These guys were good, they all fight in tournaments as well. And I'm not as good at MA as I would like to be, but I'm working on that :)

Simps

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 8:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simps,

Get a woodaxe. Carry it to class concealed under an inconspicuous piece of clothing. If any of your "friends" launch into their MT spiel, pull it out, split a piece of furniture or embed it in a wall and then write them a cheque for damages and leave.

Your friend,

Angry Spastic
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh ...

*takes away Andry Spastic's crack pipe*

Simps
  8. SuperHappyLucky7

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which city was this school in?

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 9:36am

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That could be cause by two different reason.

1. It isn't a traditional Muay Thai school. I notice that most MT school with attitude problem usually are being teach by someone who fought in NHB of some kind.

2. Their instructor are just there to make moneys or their instructor don't know how to run the class.

I attend Master Toddy's Muay Thai (They trainned over 30 world champ fighters) and almost everyone are really nice and respectful. That is because if they have any attitude problem or disrespect people, no one will spar with them or train with them and ignore them to death. Also all three of my instructors are very strict about respect things.

Also about round house, kicking them in knee is extremely difficult because they usually try to do it from as close as possible. That is why they raise their shin to block the kick. You shouldn't try that with experienced MT guy unless you conditioned your shin VERY well.

It is a rat eat rat world.

"A magical place where I have a freakish large penis and I am also the king of the mushroom people." - by Omen Stone

Edited by - Fatality Dragon on June 20 2003 09:44:09
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 9:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school was in Gouda, the Netherlands, Europe, Earth. That's a GMT +1 timezone btw.

Heck, it's where the cheese comes from :)

Simps
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast