Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 4:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some cool stuff...friend of mine got a promo "flyer" card thingie.
    Its in Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County...a mecca for all things MMA) on June 21/22. First day is with Gi, second day is ADCC rules. They posted the rules at http://www.worldgrapplinggames.com/rules/rulesginogi.htm and the main page is at http://www.worldgrapplinggames.com/default.htm

I am not ready to compete yet (I'm still basically a beginner), but the no-gi submission wrestling day looks to be the ideal competition for me. Of course, I think its a little odd that they consider me a "Super Heavyweight" at 220, but that's the breaks. Maybe I can drop to regular Heavyweight (202 range) within the next few months.

I know there's lots of SoCal MMA'ers out there...anyone competing? Its only $10 for both days for spectators.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 5:00pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, already doing something wish I could go.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 1:39am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I hate the fact that every damn BJJ tournament has different weight classes. I walk around at 210, I hate having to cut to 205 sometimes, othertimes 202 or even worse, 198.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 11:25am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeeze greese! I could **** that weight in the morning and make that weight class. What're you whining about. Try to make my weight cut and you can whine.

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 12:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you have to cut weight? Why not just compete at your normal weight?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 2:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amateur I don't cut weigh, pro I cut weight, its a competitive thing. With amateurs nothing but ego is on the line so no biggy. With pro that's money....heh, cut the weight.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I odnt understand the whole idea of cutting weight, is the competition any better at higher weight classes? I mean I can see like 50 pounds or something, but like 5-10 pounds? Who cares.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if you're at the very bottom of the highest weight class, for example, then you risk going up against guys the size of Bob Sapp at a pretty extreme weight disadvantage (e.g. Nogueira vs. Sapp). You always want to try to be competing at the top of your weight class, it just makes it easier dealing with guys the same size or smaller.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually was not talking about the common practice in wrestling of "cutting weight". I actually want to lose PERMANENTLY the remaining fat I have. I know my likeliest best fighting weight is around 200 to 215 of lean muscle mass. Right now, I am at 220 to 225 of too much fat and not enough muscle. If I were to drop at my current muscle mass to a weight of 205 or 200, I would be much more competitive than with guys at 220 who are all muscle. That's my point for the whole weight piece. I've been very fit in the past, but I got out of shape after the Marine Corps when I was in college and working full time to support my young family. I ballooned up to 276 pounds and now I'm in much better shape, but still have a ways to go. Its tough having a crappy metabolism and working as many hours as I do. There's just so much in life to keep up after. But I'm making excuses...now I'm training and feeling better than I have in years. I want to compete at least one time in a submission grappling tournament just to prove to myself that I have what it takes to be a competitor. Its just something I want to do. This tournament seems to be exactly the kind I'd want to do. (that Tito Ortiz invitational was another one that looked really good a while back...had some friends who went to that one).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple of guys I train with are wrestling both days for this one...now that's stamina. My buddy Adam is a classic example of this cutting weight...he seems to have his head in the right place, for the most part. He is 212 and he's lean and cut. Now he's trying to cut to under 203 for weigh-ins on Friday (tommorow). There's just no way he is going to make weight, diuretic or not. So he finally told me... you know man...I don't care what weight I am, I'm ready to complete and I'm gonna RAPE somebody in this thing!

Gotta love that 'tude!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast