Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 9:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no experience with FMA, but I do practice Pencak Silat and if it's remotely like that, go take it.

It rocks :)

Simps

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i tried to find a FMA out here in MA but all of the sites i found made the instructors out to seem like ninja.

everyone says kali and escrima are great, i'm just tryingto find a school

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 9:47am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's my problem as well
    it's not very common......how did TKD sport schools get so common?
    do people have a brain?

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    In training to be the superior practitioner.

Only the insane start off with chain punches.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kuya-you're a fucking moron.

Some Fillipino systems are good, but I prefer the Indonesian-based arts.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 12:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Opinion? Love it to death. Most readily adaptable, practical art I've found, and you don't have to be bullet-shaped to make it work for you.

But then, I also have a thing for knives...

There are a bunch of excellent escrimadors your side of the pond!

Use this as a springboard: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jc.kemp/doce_pares.html

FMA database (not sure it extends to UK, and haven't time to check right now, but good for refs.):
    http://www.pekiti-tirsia.org:8080/FMA/

Also try searching the eskrima digest:
    http://www.martialartsresource.com/filipino/filframe.htm

that should get you started.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 12:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh, and here's a great overview with a list of instructors at the end...
    http://www.martialartsresource.com/anonftp/pub/eskrima/digests/fmafaq.htm

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 1:05pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm learning Escrima, for its own sake. I don't have any plans to beat the crap out of someone on the street with sticks, but doing it in a full contact match is a rush like nothing else.

Right now I'm working with the padded ones and helmets when we go full contact, but eventually I'd like to go Dog Brother style, with the regular sticks.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does no one actually read posts anymore? Kuya is fucking joking for chrissake, you fucking retards.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost why the helmet if youre using padded sticks? If youre worried about eye protection, some racquet ball glasses will work. And if youre worried about biting your tongue off just put your mouthguard in. Anyways, there are those who would say a helmet, even with real sticks, is too much protection, and gives a false sense of security. With padded, you aint gonna get really messed up (unless your partners are gorillas), so why not take it too bare minimum.

Full contact, where Im at (ala dog brothers), is reserved for special occaision, since most of us take some time to heal from such things as broken bones, severe lacerations, and bruising. Though I have a friend who does it regularly, but then he scares me since he doesnt have to worry about getting hit.

Though like you, I am learning eskrima for its own sake as well (probably cause Im filipino). Id probably just take some empty hand art if I just worried about self-defence, since the addition of weaponry in non-cooperative scenarios (eg. arranged fights like Dog Brothers) will generally be an over-escalation of force (and where its justified I just plain would not want to be in that situation).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 2:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A clarification on how much striking there is in FMA. Aside from sikaran (which is a kicking art). Most FMAs naturally (meaning before its mixed with an outside art) have stand-up grappling (usually extrapolated from the grappling youd do with a weapon, and in most cases this too is a recent invention by such old manongs as Angel Cabales), some striking (the odd jab, hook, cross, that are just plain inherent to all fighting, and again influenced by how it would pop up with a weapon), and a few kicks (again its coming from what one could do while also armed, so they tend only to be very basic, and low line targets only). Beyond that, most FMAs will start bringing outside arts, such as boxing, or karate if there is a need to round out striking skills. And then, generally that is only to give the fighters enough skills in striking to not be phased by it. And as far as groundwork, since we supposedly are working with blades, its been considered taboo. It comes out in stick fighting, ala. dog brothers, but even then alot of what they do only works because its with sticks, and they can absorb hits that would be fatal with a blade. So they've had to bring in BJJ to add that factor. As far as dumog (filipino wrestling), its really debatable if there really is such a thing. And if there is, the real thing is light years from common. Same thing with panantukan, or kino mutai.

Anyways, empty hand to FMA, is like striking to BJJ practitioners. There are elements, but its not the focus. Anything beyond basic, tends to be from an outside art.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast