Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 2:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are peoples thoughts on Flipino Martia Arts? For example Kali or Escrima?
    From what i've read they seem to be very complete Martial Arts however not widly availiable to learn. Especially in the U.K.
    Just wondering what other people thought of the system?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 3:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FMA is for pansies, youd be better off learning an empty handed system, since your opponent will just grab your wrist and take your knife away from you, and then use it against you. And, even if you do manage to tag him with your knife, it wont do anything, because knives cant cut through anything, and anyways cutting people doesnt do anything to them since it takes them along time to die from cuts. And, anyways people who train with knives dont know how to train hard, and therefore suck cause they forget thier training all the time. Youd be better off going to Indiana, and learning 9Chambers ko Ashi. The founder has 20 years experience, since he started reading martial arts books since he was 12, and he's beat up some people too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 3:24am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you do the FMA, try your hardest to learn the Bakla system.

Knowing the Bakla system is the end all, literally!

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 3:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your a bit harsh Kuya. Knives can cut real good and even though you may die slowly from a femoral artery being severed, it would probably hurt like a MF. The Fillipino arts also have mano y mano (empty hand) so there must be something there.
    Just my opinion :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 4:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in uk there are loads of very very good teachers, check out the kali/escrima guys and the silat guys all very good, krishna godhard(sic) is awsome if you can get to the midlands, get combat mag and look in the back for the adresses, have fun and expect lots of bruises

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 5:16am

Style: EC, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As you can tell from my screen name I practice Escrima (Escrima concepts). We have both weapon and empty hand techniques. The weapon footwork and hand movements transfer to unarmed.

I wouldn't say that Escrima is a complete system as very little emphasis is given to grappling. Mainly because grappling with (bladed)weapons is quite dangerous. We do use the stick(s) to apply chokes and other various locks. But rolling around with someone who has a bladed weapon isn't a good idea, which is why Escrima has little grappling emphasis.

I don't know enough about Silat and the various other FMA to say if they are compelte.

Try: http://www.escrimaconcepts.co.uk/clubs.html

For clubs in your area.

Deewon: Kuya was joking, check earlier threads.

"even though you may die slowly from a femoral artery being severed, it would probably hurt like a MF"

Blood changes a fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 5:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking more on the systems that focus on empty hand fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 6:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I love FMA, aside from Sikaran, I cant think of a legitimate FMA that focuses specifically on empty hand. There's always those who push dumog, panantukan, kino-mutai, etc... But there's alot of questionability about the legitimacy of those arts as FMA. For a pure empty hand system, I would probably look somewhere else, since most FMA is an armed art your focus will be on weapons training. Most FMAs have elements of empty hand, but alot of FMA empty hand stuff comes from other arts (from boxing, to judo, to karate, etc...). Most of the old manongs werent rigid in thier training, and did alot of cross-training, decades before people thought of it in the US. Angel Cabales boxed, Doce Pares was also a karate club, same with Remy Presas, Anciong Bacon if I remember correctly was a judoka, etc... So if your goal is to find primarily an empty hand art, look for what rocks your boat, cause FMA probably wont. However, if you can find an Inosanto blend school (I know there are a few in the UK) they usually emphasize cross training, and most have some wierd phase style class that blends various arts (Muay Thai, BJJ, Silat, FMA, etc...) that may be of an interest to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 6:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did u know the MA they used in the Bourne Identity was Kali

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 7:14am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've been impressed by the few empty hand and weapon fighting clips i've seen

go take it...

talk to kuntaokid.....

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

In training to be the superior practitioner.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast