Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 2:53am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll make this brief since I'm really fucking tired: Usually, when we talk about McDojos, they focus on TMAs and have all the usual warning signs: outrageous claims, cultish behavior, unrealistic training, yadda yadda yadda. I'm looking for a MMA school right now. What are some things I should look out for? I'm more than likely gonna sit in on a few classes, so what should I expect?

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 3:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found one. when i was looking around (i dind't know of fairtex or what it was) SF I found this shootfight school. I fouidn them on the yello wpages, and went to their homepage. Yea..its mcdojo
    first, every studnet is a kid!!
    second, no competition
    third...well i find it odd they have one class to teach all of "shootfighting". i think they taught kickboxing, wrestling and JKD in the same clas...usually MMA classes segregate each category.

This is the only specific example of mcdojo i've seen.

Do Be Open-minded
    Don't Be Gullible

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 3:54pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found one. when i was looking around (i dind't know of fairtex or what it was) SF I found this shootfight school. I fouidn them on the yello wpages, and went to their homepage. Yea..its mcdojo
    first, every studnet is a kid!!
    second, no competition
    third...well i find it odd they have one class to teach all of "shootfighting". i think they taught kickboxing, wrestling and JKD in the same clas...usually MMA classes segregate each category.

This is the only specific example of mcdojo i've seen.
    Well I think you found one of Bart Vales schools. Not that Bart Vale can't fight but he marketed the how shootfighting thing. He was Kempo/Kickboxing originally.

I've trained at one Mcdojo/MMA but they competed and one in MMA. Kids and aerobic kickboxing helped keep the school open while the serious guys came in the early afternoon and evening. And you had to prove yourself to train.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's like at my school. They have "women's kickboxing" (taebo-like cardio no-contact aerobic stuff...great for conditioning, questionable in value outside of that) in order to help pay the bills, but I just found out at last night's freestyle jiu-jitsu that its getting so busy and crowded that they are blowing out the office and one of the pro MMA fight team guy's bedroom to make more room for mat space. That's a good problem to have. We have this freakin' octagon that is great to have, but it takes up lots of floor space. All it takes is money, I guess.

If I were you, I would watch for a place that has some respectable MMA fighter associated with it. I mean, I don't train with him, but my friend at work trains at a place in San Clemente, CA that is associated loosely with Chris Brennan's Next Generation studio and also with Rodrigo Medieros (If I remember correctly) Jiu Jitsu (my friend holds a blue belt and trains pretty much EVERYTHING). Look for an emphasis on kickboxing/boxing/Muay Thai and a jiu-jitsu or similar grappling art. That is the basis for most modern mixed martial arts training. Look for them to have a growing stable of professional fighters, preferably who are WINNING and moving into bigger and better promotions. An example, Jimmy Ambriz, the 307 pound BRUISER is training out of Medina's Frestyle Fightschool (www.fightschool.com) where I train along with about 10 other up and commers. They are fun as hell to train with, but be ready to be in LOTS of pain on a regular basis. :-D In MMA, that's pretty much the order of the day.

Especially if you're old and approaching 30 like me. :-)

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 10:33pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, I've never met Medina but he's as tough as they come.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 11:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just watch out for any Warning Signs for safety

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard Medina has improved a lot recently, although I have not seen him fight in a while.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 8:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey boyd my little sissy bitch, what do you mean sit in on a few classes. put yourself in the trenches and get your tail out from between your legs.

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 9:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine was mcdojo as far as billing goes. Accidentally gave $40 too much, they flip out, say they never make mistakes, won't count the safe, and yell at my mother and call me a liar. =\

Training was great, though. Hell, the owners did some MT with the advanced guys, even though they do the kind of MA's people here make fun of hehe.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 10:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just look for the hard asses if thier isnt more than 3 or 4 of them its a McDojo.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast