***ned

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My MMA training experience:

Place: Place(no, I did not type Place twice by accident) Battalias Olympic Studio (where Erik Paulson hold’s his classes)

Well, my attempts to contact Erik Paulson or the Studio beforehand had been for naught, so I decided to just drive down to the place and hope I wouldn’t get mugged, dressed up in leather, spanked, etc. Anywho, I get to the place, and it looks like I’m in business. The place is a gym with a boxing ring in the middle with an adjacent room with mats on the floor. The class was held in the matted room. Anywho, the head student led the class in doing some circuits around the room jogging, sidestepping, crossovers, etc. to get us warmed up.
    Sensei Paulson arrived when we were doing the circuits and when we were done, we partnered up. One partner would hold a Thai pad and the other would do 30 kicks on each side (basic thigh level kick). Then we moved to focus mitt work (still partnered up). We first drilled a jab, jab, slide, over, under, over, double leg combination, and 1 or 2 more combinations (memory is flaky).
    Then we donned the gloves and shinpads. We drilled picking up/catching our partners kicking leg and walking into them. Kicks were aimed at the outside and inside of the leg for one drill, and chest level for another. Then we did a little drill called “3 for 3” or something to that effect. One partner threw 3 punches and then the other partner threw 3 punches, this went on for a little bit and then we would rotate partners.
    Then came the “light sparring”. Yep, no full contact, God forbid (or thank God). Anywho, yeah, not much to say about that except I got quite a few to the face and 2 really hard shots to my floating ribs (in the same spot, by the same guy). Oh yeah, and I ran into a couple of push-kicks (yeah yeah Tim, stfu). Anyway, I did as badly as (if not worse) than any uneducated quadriplegic non-striker.
    Then came the grappling portion, where I also got 0wned (as usual). I have to say one thing though, Sensei Erik is just incredible on the ground. It’s insane. I thought I was grappling a dead (dead as in, really dead, as in, no life in his body) man…that is until he triangled me…then armbarred me…then traingled me again…Oh wow, only 1 minute has passed? Heh heh..<cries>…Now I know where that “Grappling with a bedsheet” reference comes from.
    Immediately after the grappling portion, we finished off with 100 or so crunches (all at once), “Superman’s”, leg flutters, and I forget what else (I was going in and out of consciousness at this point)..oh yeah, and some jogging around the studio. He ends class with some announcements and general stuff.
    And that’s pretty much it. I can’t really say enough about Erik Paulson’s teaching style and personality, as they are both great. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Erik Paulson, go to www.erikpaulson.com . He’s the creator of the “Combat Submission Wrestling” program.

Final thoughts: It was the most strenuous workout I’ve ever had in my life. Partly, because I’m a fat son of a bitch lazy mother fucker, and partly because…I’m a loser. But yeah, good stuff. I definitely felt “alive”. It was weird because I was laughing in the car to myself the whole way home, perhaps because I was exhausted, but I think it was because I felt “alive”. That’s about it folks.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Edited by - deus ex machina on June 19 2003 01:37:08

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 2:09am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seems like a good place. Wish I could find one.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    martial arts help's in many ways

Edited by - crazydragon on June 20 2003 12:13:31

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 4:45pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like fun, i find it difficult to drive with my arms DEAD

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    "I'd rather lie in a pool of sweat, than a pool of blood."
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 4:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor studied under Paulson. We practice his system as our "Shooto" class. From what I have seen so far, it is similiar to Vale Tudo.

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
    Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It pretty much IS Vale Tudo. =) The only thing I can think of is that there is no "ground and pound". Of course, this comes from general knowledge about Shooto as a style not from what Sensei Erik has taught us. No striking on the ground I believe. Otherwise, kickboxing and ground work. =)

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 6:32pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummm, I kinda passed out in the locker room after class with Rener yesterday. Does that count for alive?

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 6:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds alive to me . . . Do you ever get so tired you forget you are bleeding? I thought I had actually hurt someone and then realized it was me that got jacked up!

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 10:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that sucks when you are bleeding and you think it was you appoint