Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 2:45am

Style: Taiji quan yang style ("cheng fu" and "lu chan"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"
    Yeah damn right.
    soo people on this forums are going to ask for dans, that's ridiculous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 3:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use the school for what you wana use it for. When people go to college the college may have some classes or people that that person doesnt like but if the college has something to offer you that you want you should still attend. Unless of course they advocate rape or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 6:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school is "disliked" by pretty much all other schools in the area, for reasons I really do not know. I know that martail arts can be a pretty shallow institution at times, and everyone seems to be at war with someone else in the martial arts world, but sometimes it just really bugs me. Some of the things that people have said about my school are simply not true. (I'm far from defending the place, I am just stating fact). I think it is an old war from a couple generations back, that has possibly went the way of urban legend.

Cult.. Yes there definately is some hero worship, but no, not everyone does it. But some people are just willing to do, and pay for anything this school wants...blindly I might add. Why are there students who have been there two weeks, who are willing to sign a multi-year contract? No one has to. There are 3 month options. Is this common at all schools or am I just a little over sensitive on the subject.

I think that Jamoke hit it right on the head for me. Just train and forget about all the other bullshit. I really do like the training. That being said, I've also started to look into other schools and will be taking some trial classes next month.

I love training in MA. Is it too much to ask to like everything about your schoo? It can really sour me sometimes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 6:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were you then I'd switch to a school that has nothing to do with any political, mystical, or hierarchal crap: see Blade's post.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 6:44am

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    phil, are you serious, delete your response. that statement makes no sense. what planet did YOU come from.

dont we wish life could be that easy phil.

anyways winston, thats good that other karate schools in the area HATE yours, it means your instructor and whoever owns the place is doing something RIGHT!

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 7:15am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup.

Just make the most of what you have at the school.

Nothing good ever comes of getting involved in the politics.

If you go there just to train, then you're on the right track.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 8:25am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Why are there students who have been there two weeks, who are willing to sign a multi-year contract? No one has to. There are 3 month options. Is this common at all schools or am I just a little over sensitive on the subject."
    No to both......lol
    it isn't always common, though sometimes longer term contracts can be good for the legit gym, more stability and whatnot, but there should/must be an escape clause of some kinda, like refund with some minor deductions

you are right to be sernsitive about this....there are also downsides for using long term contracts.....

"anyways winston, thats good that other karate schools in the area HATE yours, it means your instructor and whoever owns the place is doing something RIGHT!"
    ? maybe, hopefully, or worse case scenario (unlikely) is that other schools see(/assume maybe incorrectly) what your school is attemping to do and don't like a MA school giving them a bad name.....

i'm not concluding anything because i don't have the picture, take it all with some measure of objectivity

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    In training to be the superior practitioner.

Only the insane start off with chain punches.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "phil, are you serious, delete your response. that statement makes no sense. what planet did YOU come from."

So are you saying that you should look for a political school that does teach a lot of mystical crap, and is complete with it's own hierarchy system?

Or is it just Blade's post you disagree with?
    You do [insert MA] and hence think highly of it and recommend it to people; I do MMA and think highly of it, so guess what I do?

Edited by - MMA_Phil on June 19 2003 13:53:09
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12