Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello everyone. Great site. I really dig what you are trying to accomplish here.

So, with all the talk about what is wrong with schools, I was wondering: Are there things that you don't like about your school that you choose to ignore because you like the training. I'll give you some examples of what I am dealing with right now..

1). My school seems to have a "shady" reputation. I would prefer not to go into any detail just yet.

2). Prices have gone from "affordable", to "Are you kidding", with all new ways to charge you..

3). I might just be paranoid, but lately I've noticed some "cultish" behavior.... "The Grand Master is an amazing human being." and all that horseshit! It is driving me nuts!

However, I do enjoy the training. We spar, we have conditioning, and I like the system alot. Although we are a non-competitive school, I do have instructors who have competed and done well in NHB tournaments...

Anyway... Pros and Cons.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you llike the training, just dont get involved in the bullshit. every karate school has some form of politics.

you go there to train, just continue what your doing. unless they are doing unethical illegal things, i would not be concerned.

can you be specific about "cultish" behavior?

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    never ignore something you don't like.
    it is your school too...
    you might want to look into other schools in the area. Maybe there is something more suitable for you

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Everybody and everything is at one point shady. I know you said you wouldn't like to go into detail, but it helps to say what they are shady about without going into graphic detail.

2) Sometimes schools rent/leasing goes up, insurance rates jump, eletricity isn't as affordable as it was when the school first open, ect. Are some common reaons why school pricing will go up, but are they introducing new programs that seem "exciting" with other catch phrases or are they just introducing new pricing structures to make the raise in cost more accomodating to people?

3) Is it more than one person doing? sometimes people fall into hero worship without realizing it. If it's the whole school falling to it's knees at the mere thought of the grand master, of course that's another story.

From what it sounds like it doesn't like your training has suffered which is the foot prints when saying a school is "going mcdojo". Are there other people at your school that feel the same way?

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it sounds like it is going on the long dark path to mcdojo. If you enjoy stay untill it gets to bad.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
  6. SuperHappyLucky7

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 5:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm.. just guessing.. are you in TKF?

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 5:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go to a full contact place, liek a MT, boxing, BJJ , wrestling or MMA place etc - problem solved.

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
    "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott

Edited by - Blade Windu on June 18 2003 17:39:14
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez Blade, people joke around but your answer to everything really is do MT, boxing, BJJ, wrestling and everything will be fine. :)

Winston -
    If you have moral or ethical problems with the school you are at, it is not the school for you.

If there is some other reason you are staying (ie. can't afford anything else, can't travel anywhere else, stuck in a contract for the moment, etC) then just distance yourself from the stuff you don't agree with.

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 10:33pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "1). My school seems to have a "shady" reputation. I would prefer not to go into any detail just yet."
    ? um......
    do a bunch of "thugs" or leather-clad guys on motorcycles hang with your master guy?
    ?

"Hmm.. just guessing.. are you in TKF?"
    what's TKF? TOTAL KUNG FU!!!!!!

"If there is some other reason you are staying (ie. can't afford anything else"
    afford? :)

"3). I might just be paranoid, but lately I've noticed some "cultish" behavior.... "The Grand Master is an amazing human being." and all that horseshit! It is driving me nuts!"
    does he walk in with mist and fog and gongs?
    or is he the bright lights and dance music type of guy?

seriously some people MAY do it unconsciously when they have been "wowed" by something they have never seen before....

Just look at stuff on TV, bricks smashed on you and what not.....

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

In training to be the superior practitioner.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

***ned

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for shady, yes, we'll need details, but just remember that many boxing gyms that are hardcore competitive don't exactly get the cream of the crop from society. Many times you'll encounter unsavory types. But that's just how it is. It's your choice what environment you're willing to put yourself into.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast