Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    palm strike, i am surprised the guy let you in the second time. you sound like you were becoming a pain in the ass.

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a good karate school should not let you observe. it makes the others feel uncomfortable. i dont want somebody i dont fukking know watching me, it would make me feel this guy is evaluating me.

dont you think its better if you actually try the class. a school that lets you try a class is more classy than just letting someone come in and watch.

you cant tell by watching or even trying one class. find a school that has NO CONTRACTS and if you dont like what they teach you can move on

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think observing AT LEAST one class is a good idea. Then you don't have to walk out if you hate it. If you are participating you may feel embarrassed. In Krav we have alot of new people who can't even take the warmup, nevermind the stress drills. Coming to observe a class allows the person to decide if they then want to try it. I joined krav after one being in one class and BJJ after watching one class, so what the hell do i know.

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why, are most people afraid to participate? somebody who wants to watch is not serious and is one BIG waste of time. if someone is not interested in trying a class that is surley a classical sign of a TIMEWASTER and they are far from serious.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some people don't realize that you can get hit from the first day on....some people don't realize that the warmup is cardio intensive. I think you should definitely try a class or two before joining, but there is nothing wrong with watching.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I threw up at my first MMA class. <shrug> I knew I was out of shape but I still did it. I guess it's more about principle than anything. You can only truly experience the instructor's energy, as well as the students', by participating.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree with Jamoke 100%.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyway, you watch so you see them in their natural enviorment with no sales pitches, no dumbed down material for beginners and no special interaction with you.
    In my experience, the instructor(s) did not even acknowledge that it was my first day except to ask my name. In fthe end, I had to ask HIM about how the school fee's worked and such. It was kinda cool. =)

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "a good karate school should not let you observe. it makes the others feel uncomfortable. i dont want somebody i dont fukking know watching me, it would make me feel this guy is evaluating me.

dont you think its better if you actually try the class. a school that lets you try a class is more classy than just letting someone come in and watch.

you cant tell by watching or even trying one class. find a school that has NO CONTRACTS and if you dont like what they teach you can move on"
    '
    I agree totally. In my school, I do not really mind when people watch a class, per se. It really becomes a nuissance during my pee wee classes, when I have the kids there. Their parents show up and the kids don't even pay attention to what I'm teaching them....

That's why I like to encourage people to try some classes, instead of watching.

In fact, what I do is I allow a prospective student to try a month of classes for free, and if they like it, then they can join the school and continue coming. If not, they don't lose anything.

Since I only charge students money solely for the purposes of paying the rent, this little sales promotion doesn't hurt our checkbook too much.

And it pays for itself in many ways, because the more students we have, means the lower the class fees are. Or the more training supplies we can buy.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 5:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fs stop phoning places up, and just go and see them for yourself..

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
    "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast