Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... you call martial arts school and they say you can take a free lesson but you can't observe a class? I called the guy from this place http://www.americankickboxing.com/ The conversation went like this:
    Me- Hi I'm interested in taking martial art lessons, can you tell me the days of beggining classes?

Instructor- You can take a free lesson on mondays at 7 or 9 or tuesdays, etc. (I don't remember the rest of the days)

Me- Yeah you know I'm looking for a place to go to for about a year, I need to work on my footwork and punching.

Instructor- We do alot of fighting in here I don't know if that's what you're looking for

Me- Actually that exactly what I'm looking for, I'm not interested in competitions or anything.

Instructor (long pause)

Me- (realizing he's not really listening to me)

Instructor- You can take a free class though

me- uh ok thanks (hang up)

Then I realized "Hey, that ass never answered my question" So my friend calls him up and asks the same question, the instructor says the same bullshit "you can take a free class blah blah". So my friend asks him again and he flat out says "no, you'll have to take the free class". He never said why we couldn't observe a class or anything. So here's my question:

What is your opinion on MA schools disallowing observation of classes? Is this normal?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never seen a school that does not allow it. I would not give him a choice just show up. I do this so I do not give them a chance to prepare a sales pitch.

Ever been punched in the mouth for talking too much : Xander ( vin diesal )in the movie TRIPLE X
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bizarre. My school allows people to watch all sessions, to take part in them, and even to come in every once in awhile and train without paying, as long as they don't take that to an extreme.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's how I would run it if I were an instructor- you could come in once a week for free. That way, the student can pretty much get the feel for the class and what it's like while at the same time not becoming good enough to satisfy them- which would encourage them to buy the full class.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, you didn't ask to observe. You asked when the beginning classes are. I probably would have said the same thing. (but i hopefully would have been a little more open to conversation).

If he said flat out "NO, YOU CANNOT OBSERVE A CLASS," i'd leave it alone. But that is not what happened. In BJJ and Krav i was given the opportunity to train before paying out. An aikido Dojo that i wanted to train at made me join then train....well i still do krav and bjj (separate locations) but don't do aikido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, I forgot to say I asked about observing after I asked about beggining classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 1:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the guy probably got kicked in the head to many times...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 1:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You never know, Osiris. Even if they don't 'throw you out,' they can be very hostile towards a person who tries to game the system in that manner. That happened at a Krav Maga school I went to. After the 3rd day of watching, I could tell the guy was getting rather ticked at my presence.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Palm Strike,
    You should let the Krav Maga people know where that school was (preferably in a private e-mail, though the forum would be interesting too). John and Darren really do care about bad schools. Our instructors let people come for up to two weeks before joining (or not). He has invited people who were planning on just watching to jump in for a class if they wished (provided they were dressed for it).

JMSJedi, if you asked to observe and he either ignored oyu or declined....for me, that is a bad sign.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After the 3rd day of watching, I could tell the guy was getting rather ticked at my presence.
    What the...? Why did you have to watch for 2 days, let alone 3?

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast