Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right. But this wasn't like Bum Fights or anything like that. The activity appeared to be safe. The lady thought the ref would do his job and protect both fighters. He obviously didn't. Even the Celebrity Boxing ref told people to fight harder or they wouldn't get paid any money during the fights. No one was getting beaten down, but he was telling them to throw more punches. A truly professional boxing referee has no stake in whether the fight is "good" or not.

I still think too many people are foucsing on the "untrained" thing. Most people know the basics of fighting. Don't get hit, hit the other person. They know to keep their hands in front of their face, and if they don't instinct with do it for them.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 11:52pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean to be a nay-sayer, but the basics of fighting involves a lot more than that. Humans, as a rule, have pretty shitty instincts when it comes to fighting. All of the cops that train in my school have tons of hilarious stories that illustrate the pathetic fighting abilities of your average crook, not to mention your normal average citizen. Fighting is something you have to train for, at least on a weekly basis. True, some people are more receptive to fight training and pick it up faster. Some people might be naturally bigger, stronger or faster. However, no one just goes through life with the in-grained knowledge of how to defend themselves against another person. To make it worse, everyone gets that smattering of 'how to defend yourself' lessons from their dad or uncle and God knows what that includes. A 240-lb housewife with kids would definitely need some sort of formal training to give herself a fighting chance (no pun intended). Most people think fights happen the way Hollywood choreographs them for TV and movies. Then they get a taste of the real thing and turn into complete spastics. Sad, but true.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/23/2003 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They know to keep their hands in front of their face, and if they don't instinct with do it for them
    This is certainly not true. Many trained fighters even have a hard time remembering to keep their hands up (boxers aside)...in my BJJ class, alot of people drop their hands during stand up.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/23/2003 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I've always found that human instinct is very much a setback when it comes to fighting. One of the biggest reasons that boxers (or anyone who knows how to take a real punch) tend to do very well is because they don't do the silly lean-the-hell-back-so-I-don-get-hit-and-punch-at-the-same-time (tm) thing that most untrained people will do. Keeping you chin down and you head forward when there's punches flying at you is very counterintuitive.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/23/2003 4:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punisher: I think we agree on the main point - that what happened here is largely the responsibility of the people runing the show. They were clearly reckless, and in this case, another human being paid for their irresponsible behaviour.

I happen to think that the woman, who jumped into the ring without preparation and out of shape, with her children there watchin, was a fucking idiot. This, however, does not change the fact that the fight should have clearly been stopped.

The reason the fiht was not stopped, is because the people running the show wanted to give the audience what they paid for - a bloody asskicking. This is why I think such shows should be banned. As I said many times, I'm all for organized amateur fighting. All I'm saying is that it needs to be regulated, and held up to certain standards in safety and conduct.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/23/2003 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I was saying was, people instinctively try to limit themselves from injury, even if it is just grabbing where the pain is. People being beaten in the head, will cover their head.

Maybe people don't instinctively know how to "fight" but hundreds of thousands of years of evolutiuon has programmed people how to survive.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/23/2003 5:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, not from what I've seen. People getting hit in the head raise their chin and lean back to avoid the blows. They only cover up when they're on the ground or agains a wall and don't have anywhere to retreat.

I find that even I do that sometimes when I'm too tired to think and being hit with a good flurry, despite the time i've spent boxing.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567