Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:01pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mother Injured in Fight Will Die

Stacy Young, 30, will die after being injured in an amateur boxing match.

By PATTY ALLEN-JONES

SARASOTA -- A 30-year-old Bradenton woman was left brain dead and will die after being pummeled in her first amateur boxing competition Saturday at Robarts Arena.

Family members said Stacy Young, who entered the Toughman Competition thinking it would be fun, would die at Bayfront Medical Center early this morning. But doctors continue to keep Young on life support as they wait for physicians around the country to properly organize and harvest her organs.

These contests allow unskilled boxers -- whether they are in shape or not -- the opportunity to compete for cash prizes, a trophy or a satin jacket and advance to world championship competitions in different weight classes. The Sarasota event apparently did not offer cash prizes because Florida prohibits them.

Young was one of three people taken to Sarasota Memorial Hospital with injuries that night. The Herald-Tribune was not able to learn the identities of the other injured contestants or their conditions.

Young is believed to be the only one transported by helicopter to the trauma hospital in St. Petersburg. Unable to breathe on her own, she was connected to a life support system, said her husband, Chuck.

She suffered swelling and hemorrhaging in the brain, and doctors saw no signs of activity in the brain stem, said Jodie Meyers, Young's older sister.

Chuck Young said he tries to portray himself as a tough man and believes his wife was trying to prove she's a tough woman.

He said he likes to watch wrestling and amateur boxing matches on television. He said he attended but never participated in Toughman Competitions in Tucson, Ariz., where the couple lived before moving to Bradenton in February.

Stacy Young would wrestle her husband and his friends in Tucson, Chuck Young said. She could overtake everyone except him, he said.

The couple was at the Sarasota competition Friday night and decided to return Saturday after it was announced that the event needed fresh boxers, Chuck Young said. This time he got in the ring, but went down in 29 seconds.

As he was signing up, Stacy Young mentioned that she wanted to try but then hesitated, Chuck Young said. She decided to go through with it after learning that the competition needed an opponent for the one woman that already had signed up. The Herald-Tribune could not confirm her opponent's name because the event promoter did not return phone calls.

Chuck Young feels bad that his encouragement may have pushed his wife into boxing.

"It's supposed to be fun," he said. "They tell us nobody's going to get hurt. The worst that could happen was to get a broken nose."

At 240 pounds, Stacy Young outweighed her opponent by about 60 pounds. But in the first 30 seconds after Young entered the ring, the family knew it was an uneven match, Meyers said.

"She (Young's opponent) was fairly solid and definitely her punches were much more right on," said Meyers, who was with Young's two daughters, Cassie, 12, and Chantelle, 9. "There was no doubt she was the better fighter the first 30 seconds, but Stacy hung in there."

Meyers said her sister, who nearly lasted the entire three-round bout before falling the final time, landed a few punches.

"A few times she (Stacy) got hit to the ground but she would come back up," said Domenic Rocco, 30, of Sarasota, a spectator sitting close to the ring that night. He also believed Young's opponent was an experienced boxer. "The ref was ready to call the fight, but she (Stacy) said no."

Stacy Young began to stagger, but her family just thought she was exhausted. According to doctors, Meyers said, any one of the many blows could have damaged her brain.

The Toughman Competition provides an opportunity for everyday men and women to test themselves in the boxing ring, said Joelle English, head of public relations for AdoreAble Promotions, the event's parent company. It is not a professional boxing event.

Golden Glove boxer Art Dore founded the company in 1979 in Bay City, Mich. It was an outlet for guys Dore met in bars who wanted to fight, according to published reports.

Each bout consists of three one-minute rounds. Boxers wear head protection and use 16-ounce gloves, which have more padding than what pro boxers use.

Participants must be 18 or older. They pay a $50 entry fee, sign a waiver releasing Dore from liability, and have their heart rate and blood pressure checked by a doctor, English said. They are ineligible if they have won five amateur bouts in the past five years.

Meyers said her family doubts that the woman Young fought was an amateur. In her victory speech, Young's opponent said that none of her other boxing partners lasted the entire three rounds, as did Young.

"We would like to know the experience of her opponent," Meyers said. "We would like to verify that she (Young) was matched with somebody who truly was an amateur."

English did not know any details of Young's match in Sarasota. She referred many questions to Dore, who did not return phone calls.

This type of boxing has its critics because of the participants' inexperience, and because it is not sanctioned by the State Boxing Commission.

But that is little comfort to Chuck Young and Meyers, who believed at the time that whether Stacy got roughed up a bit or won a trophy, they would have something to laugh about later.

This incident has thrown the Youngs into a financial bind. Married for 12 years, the couple have two daughters, as well as two older children from Chuck Young's previous marriage.

Neither Stacy, who worked at Pearl Vision, nor Chuck, a welder, have health insurance. They have no savings, and he doesn't make enough to support the family.

Meyers, a Lakewood Ranch resident, said she and her sister were taking online classes in business administration from the University of Phoenix, and planned to become teachers.

A trust fund has been set up at Florida First Bank in care of Stacy Young. Donations can be sent to the Lakewood Ranch branch, 11505 Palm Brush Trail, Bradenton, FL 34202.

"I'm just trying to hang in there," said Chuck Young, whose mother died when he was a child. "I've been through it. I have to be strong for my family. I can't eat and I can't sleep, but I'm trying to be tough for my children."

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:21pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bummer, that guy must spend his life searching for tragedy. I just happened upon it in my regular reading of the online news. I wasn't sure if someone had posted it, but I should have known that Kungfoolss would already have had it posted.

Sincerely,

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem, as I see it, is that amateurs have no concept of the dangers they risk by getting into that ring. Their comments are more than a little revealing. A broken nose is about the worst thing I would expect from a good sparring session.

They also do not have any career in the business, so they have little in the way of concerns for preserving themselves for the next fight.

Additionally, what kind of corner do these people have? Who is watching out for them? Someone should have thrown in the towel long before the third round if they knew "in the first 30 seconds" that she was seriously outclassed. And the referee obviously bears some small resonsibility for this as well.

When a pro-fighter fights, he has doctors and trainers who work FOR HIM in his corner, not people who work for the organization trying to put on a show. The interests are at least somewhat balanced.

These amateurs are also coming in to fight totally unknown opponents. They, unlike the pros, have no idea what to expect. In many ways, these people face worse conditions than pros.

I hate to say these things should be banned, but there's something really wrong with letting a 240lb housewife step into a ring.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "A few times she (Stacy) got hit to the ground but she would come back up," said Domenic Rocco, 30, of Sarasota, a spectator sitting close to the ring that night. He also believed Young's opponent was an experienced boxer. "The ref was ready to call the fight, but she (Stacy) said no."
    Totally wrong. Pros aren't even always allowed to make this call.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The lion's share of the responsibility certainly does lie with her, but then again, she was ignorant, you are not.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i heard about this case this morning. It is sad that woman, a mother is going to lose her life. But even from the article, the whole things seems ridiculous. Why would you ever enter a ring against someone you know nothing about for free.....this is not like a UFC,PRIDE etc where there are safety nets. I think her husband has some responsibility too.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is one of those cases, where the responsibility is spread thin between a number of different people.

To put it simply, the woman is dead because of her own stupidity, the stupidity of her husband, and irresponcible practices on part of the people running the show. Tough Man competitions are notorious for purposefuly creating mismatches so that the crowd gets what ehy paid for - a **** beating. This practice is unfair to the participants, and as clearly shown here, all out dangereous.

I personally am all for banning these events as they are. I have no problem with amateur fighting events, and think that they should be allowed and carefuly regulated. But people who knowingly put out of shape housewives in the ring with boxers should be in jail.

Osiris - there's a hure difference between someone like you, and that lady. When you agree to go NHB rules agains an unknown person, you have a very clear understanding of exactly what you're doing. You made an educated choice and you were not mislead into thinking that it was safe. I think it's clear that that lady had no idea what she was getting herself into.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's no one person's fault, but it's a stain not only on the boxing tradition, but on all of us who fight competitively. I pray it never happens again, but when amateurs step into the ring and pound into each other...

Of course, there's always risk. A man once died in a fight, apparently randomly, of a heart attack, only for people to realize later that the type of heart attack he sustained could only have been incited by a specific type of blow at a specific angle at a specific time in the heartbeat. Although the odds were 1 in a 1,000,000, he got jipped by fate and payed the price.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While its tragic it also was entirely avoidable. Whether the risks were not clear to her or played down to her I doubt we'll know, and it does make all the difference.

One thing that should be pointed out is that she did not actually go into this blind as is said by officials and critics. Both she and her husband had watched the fights numerous times including the night before. She also saw her own husband get knocked out shortly prior to her own bout. While unfortunate, I tend to agree with osiris that it really is about common sense, just like the people who start ma's and then get upset and surprised when they get hurt.

Palm Strike asks probably the most important question to non-family members: what will be the impact on other "fighting" sports?

It would also be interesting to find out how many individuals have taken part in the toughman competitions over the last ~20 years. With possibly 9 dead (read that somewhere) over that time span we're looking at less than one every two years. I'm betting that that is an extremely minute percentage.

Anyway I think a toughman contest would be fun to try out.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kids, no health insurance, and husband's salary is not enough for whole family... what was she thinking? Either don't go in the ring, or call it quits early enough...
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast