Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 3:28pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PKG Tours has some information.

Turtle Press has some history and some Principals

This site gives some insight, although it does sort of denounce Taekwondo.

All That Tour in Corea has some nice information.

DropKickIt.com has General Choi's written account.

This Article by Robert W. Young is also very nice.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Edited by - Bolverk on June 20 2003 15:30:15

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Bol.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/index.html
    http://www.martialscience.homestead.com/home.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 4:19pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are very welcome sir.

Sincerely,

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the Taekkyon stuff in English is pretty bad. The Turtle Press info isn't as bad as a perusal of their videos might lead you to expect. I don't like the cultural explanations that couch things in terms of some mysterious warlike nature. The description is fairly accurate.

However, the guy who does the Taekkyon videos for Turtle Press is...I'll say it, a fraud.

The Dong-A one's not too good.

The General Choi one is revisionist, and tries to pull some linguistic tricks.

The "All-that" seems based on the association founded by the guy in the Turtle Press videos.

The Robert Young article is fairly good. Sidenote: there are two distinct syllables Taek Kyon, not Tae Kyon. Taekkyon is also a pure native Korean word, rather than a Chinese word like Taekwondo.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 10:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many "foreigner" would you say was learning Taekkyon in Korea while you were there Wrastrel?

Jeremy M. Talbott
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    6/20/2003 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Miguk,
    I met one, me. I saw one on a poster for a competition. I've heard a friend of mine may have started.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/23/2003 10:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. So basically you were thrown to the wolves. What was their reaction to having a foreign devil practice their traditional art? Were they very acceptive or very hesitant to teach you?

Jeremy M. Talbott
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2003 4:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, you guys are brainiacs.

This is a good topic though, I would never have thought of it.

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 4:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a good topic.
    As for oral history I dont think one can just simply dismissed it all as fabrication. It really depends. I remember watching some on television about aboriginals in western Canada that had some sort of oral history of some land mass underneath a lake that their ancestor use to cross over. Many people thought it was just a myth until archeologist and other scientist did a seismic graph of the bottom of the lake and found the aboriginal oral history to be true. I agre oral history could be altered weither be accident or deliberate. But so can written history by historical revisionists. The best examples would be people like Ernest Zundle who attempts to denial that thousands of people were mudered in concentration camps during WW2. In some non western culture oral history is memorized word by word and made into a song so it cant be forgotten. And to safe guard the information from distortions not one but several people in that tribal group are made to memorized the oral information.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234