Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 2:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably because I've done BJJ for like a WEEK, but I've noticed that we always start from the knees, I haven't trained any takedowns or throws, and I've learned no tie-up and clinch technique yet.

Perhaps I'll have to wait until later, I suppose. But it seems everyone has already done wrestling and/or Judo, so they know some stuff.

Any suggestions on what basic types to learn? Throws, takedowns, clinch/tie up... and for that matter, how can I respectfully ask the teacher about them?

BTW - the MT class is VERY thurough, and we did boxing all last week. Probably because of how Liddel/Couture went, heh.

Thanks in advance.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some throws, go to www.judoinfo.com They have a ton of images on throws and stuff. I've also noticed that alot of takedowns in MMA seem kinda sloppy, and caveman like.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Takedown doctrine changes a lot when strikes are incorporated and possible. I don't get guillotined...until strikes are allowed, and then I end up there quite often, but then again, I usually break it, so maybe I'm not all wrong.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 4:07pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ primarily deals with the ground. Worry about the guy going to tap you out. Take Judo if you need to learn throws. Use BJJ for what it was created for. To get position and to win on the ground.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 4:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember the first 6 months of Machado Jiu-Jitsu were all starting on the knees, with only occasional work from the standup.

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
    Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 4:51pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ primarily deals with the ground. Worry about the guy going to tap you out. Take Judo if you need to learn throws. Use BJJ for what it was created for. To get position and to win on the ground.

This is primarily Helio Gracies influence do to the fact he wasn't big and found most of the throws too hard to do at his size. Boxing, Muay Thai, and some non gi stuff would do fantastic.

Noticed a lot of holes? lol, that ones too easy to bag on.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 5:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's little doubt that a lot of BJJ students do that (always starting from the knees), but it's hard for me to relate to. From what I can see, there are two types of BJJ people, and one of them is the "pull guard" type. I didn't think we had any of those, but I have recently been disabused of that notion. It drives me nuts when I see that ****. Pull guard when you're losing your feet and the other guy is going to fall on top of you.

Nih,
    It's not such a bad idea to start from the ground sometimes, or even often. Obviously you have to mix it up, but if you started standing, you might never have time to work ground.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, bleh. I'm a broke ************.

Only doing GJJ for now... Royce Gracie's style too. So, I'm a royce nutrider... whoo hah! Noooooo striking :(

(I COULD do hapkido but I don't like the way it looked, still leery of bullshido)

When I move to Florida, I should be able to go to Peackcock's academy (even this place says peacocks is good) and by then I won't be living in a hotel, and paying out my ass (and my whole family for that matter) to laywers becuase of BS accusations, and if we didn't pay for a good one we'd be fucked. At least he personally cared about it so much to take us, only, but he had to have money to live
    </personal_live_bitching>

I really wish that bullshido would go the way of the capitalist and open up its own schools. The site as a whole DEFINITELY knows whats going on, but getting teachers could be a pain. There are no "MMA" classes at RIMA... a hapkido which is a half-baked but good try at it, MT, BJJ, Judo (on fridays), and aerobic kickboxing (just conditioning and non-contact training).

GAH.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** you Osiris and your LOL. You are one of the best reasons why this site is starting to stink. If I could make Atlanta, I would take a serious shot at shutting you up until the next time you got your ass kicked by someone, and then revised your entire "knowledge" once again.

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 7:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "It should take thirty seconds or less for someone to go down, either from a takedown or a failed takedown."

That's right Os, because you're ALWAYS going all out, right? Love how you lifted the quote out of context by the way, to make it sound like I was advocating, or practiced, the way you chose to mock.

As I said, I'd take a shot, I make no assumptions. I leave that to you. You are arrogant and unpleasant, and I dread seeing your irritating and pointless troll-posts.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast