Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you spar what kind of rules do you use?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 3:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No rules when fighting a monk. As long as you don't go too crazy and try to bite them (they then tend to hit back), everyone has an educational time.

Sanshou rules when sparring another fellow student.

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 3:18pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on which sparring class we are in. In our tournament sparring class we use typical tournament taekwondo sparring rules. We are also doing street sparring this month, which will have some limited rules, including allowing punches to the head.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All targets allowed. Takedowns encouraged (sweep and impact type primarily). No groundwork done.

Level of contact varies by individual, overall medium I'd say, some people go more, some less. You usually will go by the lowest common denominator.

One additional rule is that you are supposed to stop and acknowledge hits that if full force with no gear would at least briefly stun you, the thinking being that in that case the striker would be able to quickly follow up on the stunned opponent. The jury is still out on my feelings about this rule, though it is apparently common fare for asian martial arts.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One additional rule is that you are supposed to stop and acknowledge hits that if full force with no gear would at least briefly stun you, the thinking being that in that case the striker would be able to quickly follow up on the stunned opponent. The jury is still out on my feelings about this rule, though it is apparently common fare for asian martial arts.
    Bad bad bad! You don't stop and say "Good hit!" when you're fighting! Your compliment should be returning the favor. =)

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No nut shots or eye gouging.

--------
    El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 7:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rules?

We don't need no stinking rules.

Yeah, don't **** with the guy who can kick your ass.

Go away I'm talking to myself

***ned

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about fucking the guy who can kick your ass?

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our house rules:
    - No kicking to the knee
    - No groundwork (concrete floor)

That's about it; level of contact is mutually agreed on in an ad hoc way (essentially the lower guy sets the pace and the more experienced guy steps up to that).

Smart people in this class wear cups and mouthguards; the little foam martial arts pads don't slow things down too much.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    6/19/2003 12:08am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the more you restrict your fighting the less you learn, but you must balance the need for quality experience with the appropriate safety margin.

dont strike the eyes.
    dont strike the front of the throat. you can damage someone's windpipe.
    dont hit the back of the neck. this attacks the back brain(medulla oblongata) and spinal column.
    dont strike the testicles or perineum.
    dont drop anyone on their neck or head.
    dont 'crank' or 'whip' joint attacks

in general, take it easy on vital points. areas like the temple can be lethal, especially if you fight barehanded.

always guard your groin, even if the rules prohibit it. dont trust anybody. and accidents happen too.

if someone loses their temper, end the match. it will just get shitty, and someone may get hurt.

personally, i never use gear. but that is not for everyone. one could pose a multitude of logical arguements in favor of protective gear, but i feel that any 'armour' is unrealistic, i dont walk around that way. i would however recommend that all involved wear cups. i dont, but that is me, i guard my ****.

kids should probably wear gear. once again when i was young i didnt, but unless they are pretty hardcore kids, they should have protection, especially the headgear.

fighting is not like tv or the movies. people cannot take 20 hits and keep fighting. one good shot will ace you. try to restrict more powerful strikes to the torso and legs.

and always be gentlemen about it. that doesnt mean dont fight, but dont be malicious, people tend to respond in kind.

peace.

<marquee>REDANTKUNTAO</marquee>
    <marquee> INDONESIAN GUNG FU</marquee>
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast