Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 2:37am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK all, I've discovered over the last 6 months or so that I can better use my limited gym time doing lighter circuits with almost no rest than try and pound out heavy sets with lots of rest. (I'd rather go heavy, actually, but it just doesn't fit my training needs, a couple of old injuries or my schedule; also I need the anaerobic conditioning.) I've got a mostly-freeweight circuit I've been doing but it's getting a bit stale. Any ideas? Please bear in mind:

1. Ideally the whole thing shouldn't take much more than 30 min.

2. I generally work in the 12-15 rep range. I've been bigger than I am now but don't want to gain the size back (mostly because I don't want to have to buy new clothes). I wouldn't mind going with extremely low reps either, but I don't know how that's possible with a circuit.

3. I've spent a fair bit of time in the gym over the last dozen years or so -- I'm not an expert but advice along the lines of "do 3 sets of 10 on all the Cybex machines" won't help me much.

Much appreciated.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Noodles, try mixing some plyometric exercises into your routine. That might help.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 3:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, thanks. Any plyometric suggestions? The only plometrics I've ever really done has been bodyweight jumping squats and some box jumps.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 5:48am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, some basic plyometrics exercises that I like to do are as follows:

Push ups - Lots of them. I usually do variations of them (ie. clap pushups, double clap pushups, lateral pushups, wall pushups, or knuckle pushups).

I suggest you do these in sets. Start with 6 sets of 30 reps for the first little while. As your training weeks go by, increase your sets, but decrease your reps. So, for 2 weeks do 6 X 30 reps. After that, try 10 X 20. Then after 2 weeks go to 15 X 20 or 20 X 20 reps. It's an awesome way to increase your upper body strength without packing on too much mass. You can also try the same routine with dips. If you're really feeling adventurous, try doing a similar routine with chin ups.

As for your lower body, usually any kind of footwork exercises are great. Personally, I usually don't commit too much of my spare training time doing my lower body because I spend alot of time in the dojang with my TKD.

For your lower body, try jumping rope, jumping in place (while alternating stances), or if you have access to a heavy bag, try few "mad minute" drills per session.

Also, if you wanna work on your cardio, maybe spend 10 minutes on a stationary cycle or treadmill, or jog a few laps around a gymnasium (if you have access to one) either prior to or after your work out.

If there's a pool at your gym, swimming works great too.

I hope this helps, Noodles.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

~

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 4:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, i just started lifting again very recently after not doing any lifting for a few years (was running CC and track), can anyone point me to a good ruitine? Already running, so primarily upper body. I really needa be able to controll other's arms better. Decidided to ask it here rather than start new thread cause question seems to fit the title. Whtvr, sry if anyone pissed

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 8:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need some advice to. I just bought two 15lb. dumbells. Im already very muscular just from MA training but I want to build a little but mainly get definition. What's a good routine for me (be sure to explain the excercises you suggest)?

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 9:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

enjoy

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 9:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh for fxxk sake. Is starting your own thread really that difficult?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    6/17/2003 11:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YES IT IS! Ok... so not really..

--A poor band player I was, but now I am crocodile king. --
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2003 3:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW thanks for the link Nihilanthic.