--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many would agree that mentality is a HUGE part of fighting

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 2:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes i agree 100%. Because its two parts phyisacall and both mentall. Without each part its like your just punching or not punching hard enough(second one if your lacking mentall cultivation).I need more mentall power .On a scale 1 to 10 im at an 7.5 on the mentall power scale.( i hope this make sense)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 2:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its why so many martial artists are so bad. They dont train for the intensity of fighting.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think fighting has 3 basic elements, the physical, the mental, and the emotion. The physical is easy to understand, the mental is more the consious understanding of fighting strategy, and the emotional is tha mysterious x-factor the separates a fighter from a pretender. My question is, how do you train for that?

There are plenty of times at my dojo when my heart has been racing and not because of physical activity. I know what my dojo does, and I've posted some of it before, how do others make increase the emotional intensity of their training?

Ed Parker the founder of American Kenpo was an ass kicker. He could fight. But IMO that had nothing to do what so ever with American Kenpo. Parker could fight because he was a big ass hawaiian with a bad attitutude.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 3:07am

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, did anyone know that two plus two equals four? I think that this is a very important thing to know. In fact, people who don't know that two plus two equals four are ignorant.

What do you think?

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 3:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sigh

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 3:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Hey, did anyone know that two plus two equals four? I think that this is a very important thing to know. In fact, people who don't know that two plus two equals four are ignorant.

What do you think?"

Hey, I tried to turn this thread from an open ended statment of fact, to a real discussion.

Everyone knows, or at least says mindset, emotional intensity, psychology, or whatever is important in combat. Ok, so how to you train for that? How do you improve and foster it?

I've posted before that our self-defense classes use role-play, with the attacker saying the most horrible things imaginable, pushing, and sometimes even slapping the person "defending" themself to make it seem real and envoke a strong emotional response.

At my dojo, we don't try to block fear. We try to harness or at least function with it present. That is a major benefit to our competitions and testing evaluations. While they are no where close to "real" fighting, there often provoke a strong emotional response of anxiety or even fear.

We also incorporate unusal training methods to make the students emotional uncomfortable, in a controlled setting. Forcing someone to close their eyes and stand there, waiting for someone to push or grab them can be unsettling and useful.

But all our stuff we do, can only show if a person has the "it" factor that allows them to turn it on in a real fight. We can't teach it. Some black belts crumple under the pressure and freeze. Some white belts have it and excel. Some start out not having it and find it later form some other source than the dojo. That's what happened to me.

Going away to college and becoming my own person idependant of my parents was the catalyst for my transformation from simply being a martial artist to a fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 3:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    woah...you mean someone actually has something to add to a post?????????? im terribly suprised

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 3:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks punisher..hopefully other people will actually try to have a discussion

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 4:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem.

I think you'd be more likely to get positive response if you offer a little more in first posts to start of a topics.

You don't have to write an essay, but something like, "I think the proper mental mindset is invaluable incombat, my definition of the "proper mindset is "A" and my school developes it through "B" and "C". What do you feel and what does your school do?"

So Sensei, you teach people. You think mentality is important. What to you teach your students about mentality?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast