Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 12:21pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't seen the STFU noob done in any form of seriousness. It's usually done in jest.

Choke: by all means give us some examples. I mean some posts just need to get pooped on because the poster starts getting stupid. But this is the reason I don't like Sherdog that much anymore, although they've cleaned up a bit.

Some people are just too serious sometimes and need to stop taking things sooooo personally.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 12:23pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To help with this, we're going to need to fill out the FAQ section. If you know a thread that's answered a common question, post a link to it in that forum.

That way, the next time someone shows up and asks, they can be directed there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 12:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To help with this, we're going to need to fill out the FAQ section. If you know a thread that's answered a common question, post a link to it in that forum.

That way, the next time someone shows up and asks, they can be directed there.

You mean like this?????

Go away I'm talking to myself

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think another factor that discourages threads with direct questions on martial arts is the numerous 'agendas' you find on this and every other MA website. When I say agendas, I mean those people who have a particular axe to grind and they are just waiting for someone to give them an opening to exploit. Example:

A forum member is fairly new to martial arts and asks a innocent question involving grappling/weapons/katas/competitions/striking combos/self defense or pretty much any other topic that comes to mind. Immediately, people pile on with this deluge of opinions and advice, a few of them worthwhile, most of them worthless. Some of the folks who respond are instructors, some are business owners with their own dojos, most are guys like me who spend 8-10 hours a week on their training. All of them feel this pathological need to shout down any opinion that doesn't 100% jive with what they are absolutely convinced is the truth. This is why people don't ask questions about 'serious' topics. They know it will just turn into a giant dogfight between the different camps, tribes or whatever you want to call these different factions.

The good news is that, yes, this does happen in cycles. Eventually, the "Listen to me and only me!" guys get bored with the lack of fresh posts to chew on and move to other parts of the world wide web. Then the normal members of this forum can go back to business as usual. So I'm just biding my time and waiting for some normality to return. It always does.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think another factor that discourages threads with direct questions on martial arts is the numerous 'agendas' you find on this and every other MA website. When I say agendas, I mean those people who have a particular axe to grind and they are just waiting for someone to give them an opening to exploit. Example:

A forum member is fairly new to martial arts and asks a innocent question involving grappling/weapons/katas/competitions/striking combos/self defense or pretty much any other topic that comes to mind. Immediately, people pile on with this deluge of opinions and advice, a few of them worthwhile, most of them worthless. Some of the folks who respond are instructors, some are business owners with their own dojos, most are guys like me who spend 8-10 hours a week on their training. All of them feel this pathological need to shout down any opinion that doesn't 100% jive with what they are absolutely convinced is the truth. This is why people don't ask questions about 'serious' topics. They know it will just turn into a giant dogfight between the different camps, tribes or whatever you want to call these different factions.

The good news is that, yes, this does happen in cycles. Eventually, the "Listen to me and only me!" guys get bored with the lack of fresh posts to chew on and move to other parts of the world wide web. Then the normal members of this forum can go back to business as usual. So I'm just biding my time and waiting for some normality to return. It always does.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    true
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12