Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 11:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something that Im sure most of you have noticed is that A LOT of fights start with a push. My recommendation for you as martial arts practitioners is to do a lot of training off of a push. To me if someone is willing to push me im sure they will also be willing to punch me so I usually just go to town immediately at the first push. I dont wait for them to swing. Maybe you all have other ideas as to what you focus on in your "self defense" training.

Train to Fight and put everything into it.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight first.

In Canada (I'm not too sure about the US penal code), in order for it to be self defense, one does not have to be struck first.

If a person even percieves an attack and has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that, they can respond with physical force in order to neutralize the situation.

Sometimes, the best defense is a good offense.

I'm a firm believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. - Thomas Jefferson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 11:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well here in American you are supposed to run and the only way it is self defense is if your in a corner or theres NO WAY you can run. America has TERRIBLE self defense laws

Train to Fight and put everything into it.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's repugnant. You guys have the second amendment in your constitution, but you guys have laws that place the onus on the victim in a self defence scenario? Unbelievable.

I'm a firm believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. - Thomas Jefferson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby
  5. DRD

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 11:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can defend yourself in the US. Many of the statutes I have looked at put you in a position of using the same level of force that is being used against you. You can figure what that means. If they throw a rock, you obviously cannot throw a grenade, but the ability to defend yourself and others is there.

You also certainly do have the right to use lethal force against another if you are in fear for your life or that of another and lethal force is being used against you or you believe it is about to be.

We should all read our local state and federal laws on this subject. They can be murky but they are usable.

I know that they are interpreted differently based on who is talking, but I will always choose to defend my actions in court or to the officer on the scene because I choose to survive.

DRD

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 11:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    run away.

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
    "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if you accidently drop someone on thier head insted of thier back?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone pushes you, stab them repeatedly in the neck, face, and abdomen. With a dirty used sharpened chopstick.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 1:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 2:09am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have an interestring law here in Georgia. It's called the "opprobrious language" law. Basically, it allows you to justifiably inflict simple battery on a person if they talk enough smack to you.

- Skummer -

If you think you can speak about Tao, it is clear you don't know what you're talking about.
    -Lao Tzu
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast