• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 10:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would be the best MA for a police officer?

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 10:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well besides basic training I would say any grappling sysytem, like Freestyle/Roman-Greco Wrestling, Judo or BJJ. But you have your guns and baton and numbers (of officers), so I'd use those advantages ;)

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
    "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 10:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido is used by almost every LE department in america. It also helps in excessive force cases because aikido is "The art of peace"
  4. DRD

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 10:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have worked with police officers for many years and the ones I have been exposed to get a day or part of a day each year as refresher to what they know, and maybe a couple new techniques.

I am sure there are progressive dept's out there, but I don't know if they are the norm yet. With police restrictions placed on them by state and federal law, and by their own town's and departments, they tend to stick mostly with pain compliance technique if voice command fails.

Baton strikes, tonfa work, and joint manipulation. Plus when it goes south, it goes to the ground and then it is just trying to get ahold of something to lock or hit to get those hands in cuffs.

Officers are very leary of chokes because of the amount of deaths nationally using carotid cut off. When people struggle, many times you wind up getting the trachea involved and then you have trouble.

Some very good officers I know readily admit that when they use a choke of any type, it is when the suspect is fighting vigorously, and they keep it on waiting for compliance to commands.

The problem of course is that you cannot easily tell when a person is fighting you, or fighting for breath in a panic,thus the hold stays on when it needs to be released. Ask around your area and see how many dept's will say that manual or equipment chokes are verbotten now.

I don't mean to duck the question and am sure others will call an art, but when I work with them, it is time limited so it is about effective technique vs style. And one more thing.

The average man I see today that wears a uniform would not last 30 seconds in a cardio intensive situation, so they better get control immediately or they never will because they will gas and then bad things happen.

And I say that as a man who thinks law officers are hero's the same as teachers, emergency medical workers and firemen and of course women in each of the above jobs.

DRD

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work in law enforcement here in Canada.

I swear by Krav Maga. But there are also systems that we train in like PSS or PPCT that are quite helpful also.

I'm a firm believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. - Thomas Jefferson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MAs like Taekwondo or Aikido would be great. But they really would have to be modified a little in order for law enforcement to use them.

Law enforcement officers carry alot of stuff on their belts, and it's quite heavy. For me, I carry a sidearm, a baton, two sets of handcuffs, my OC spray, spare magazines, and a flashlight. It's regulation and I cannot alter this. So that's about 8 - 10 pounds of stuff around my waist. It's gonna be pretty hard to do alot of the techniques that are taught in Taekwondo.

Arts like those would work, they just need to be modified.

I'm a firm believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. - Thomas Jefferson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 12:09am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    according to my friend #1 kickboxing but he's an idiot.

according to friend #2 shaolin kempo but he makes my other friend look like Einstein.

IMHO, Some form of Japanes Jujitsu taught by former police officers would be good.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 12:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Aikido is used by almost every LE department in america. " along with another 1000 MAs.

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
    "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.