Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 5:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings, Masters of Bullshido!

This is my first post so feel free to lay down the jive talking. My question is, when do you guys think it's best to start sparring? Seems like some people think you should start right away, some think you should wait and work on basics for several months. My xing yi teacher had me train in basics and two man drills for about 5-6 months before I started sparring, in case you're wondering. He says that sparring right away gets people injured and is "not the way to train a champion." What do you think?

Jenfucius

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 5:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the master wants the student to fight using techniques of his art, well he has to teach them first.....we are assuming a new student no MA training except for videos of people using wires to fight.

To differentiate between types of sparring.
    Beginners should not go full contact until several months. Point/light sparring (yeah i know it is detrimental) and rolling is ok but no full contact until more experianced. It really is pointless if you put two new guys against each other, no footwork, sloppy strikes, sloppy control. Having a mature senior student to spar against a new person can *ahem* show how much the new student must go to be any "good."

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 5:33pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A beginner doing some controlled sparring with an advanced student or instrucor after learning some basic striking tecniques on the first night is how it's done where I train. In my first night I learn how to do a backfist, reverse punch, and a front kick. That is more than enough knowledge to start some light sparring.

5-6 months is absurd.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Choke.

I would have beginners free spar their equals after about a month or two of training, depending on their individual progress.

I would have beginners spar advanced students from day one. I think that anything you learn is more or less useless until you apply it against a resisting oponent.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 6:34pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess the best answer is when your instructor thinks you are.

I got it easy. When I studied MT, I was taught a movement/technique, I did a round of just that technique, and so on.

Same with GJJ/BJJ.

I think learning a technique or movement should automatically be followed by a real life application which as much stimuli as possible.

Thoughts?

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I guess the best answer is when your instructor thinks you are."

I agree. After all, it's the instructor's responsiblity to monitor and assess the student's progress in the art.

Therefore, it should be at his discression

I'm a firm believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. - Thomas Jefferson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 6:56pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings, Masters of Bullshido!

This is my first post so feel free to lay down the jive talking. My question is, when do you guys think it's best to start sparring? Seems like some people think you should start right away, some think you should wait and work on basics for several months. My xing yi teacher had me train in basics and two man drills for about 5-6 months before I started sparring, in case you're wondering. He says that sparring right away gets people injured and is "not the way to train a champion." What do you think?

Jenfucius

Throw them on the deep end and see what they're made of.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Throw them on the deep end and see what they're made of."

Not a bad idea....but be careful of those pesky litigation issues.

I'm a firm believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. - Thomas Jefferson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Shock'n Y'all

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depends on the art. if your a street fighting art, the student needs to know from the get go what its like to get hit and what its like to hit.

if your a fairy art, i'll let you all use your imaginations, then you treat the student like a fairy, let him/her sit against the wall and teach them some chop suey moves and let them pratice themselves into bordom for several months in training for the big let down when their fairy queen instructor who has no clue prepares them for that big game of tag at the school! what a let down, but the chances are, the student became a fairy like the instructor is, so he/she just might think their cool and tough.

cut me a fukking break. put them in the fukking routine their very first night. you treat people like fukking sissys, you'll produce sissys. you fukking assholes.

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

***ned

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 8:52pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why I love grappling. You can pretty much go all-out on your first day. I'm not saying whether its a good or bad idea, it's just cool. =) 110% all the time.

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast