Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:22pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no not a trolling attempt, just a young misguided youth seeking answers

anyways pleased to meet you all, i'm kinda new here
    I was wondering about your EDUCATED opinion of Aikido and it's effectiveness.

Those I know have taken Aikido I will be spamming your PM Box (hehhehe) if you don't post. So discuss away.

:)

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:24pm

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll admit that aikido is not the end-all be-all martial art that any particular style groupie will claim it to be.

However, coupled with the other meager studies I've had, aikido is helpful as all hell, especially with its principles on relaxing and natural movement (there's that phrase again).

My skill with a sword is formidable. My skill with the s-word is flat-out lethal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:25pm

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, WAIT A SECOND...

My skill with a sword is formidable. My skill with the s-word is flat-out lethal.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido is also great because it goes very in depth on joint manipulations and taking your opponent off balance.

The footwork is kinda confusing at times, though.

I'm a firm believer in luck. I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. - Thomas Jefferson
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:27pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my limited experiance

1. A respected member of this site was discussing something on PM with me, and he said he used the first thorw from aikido on some guy out of reaction. Ok...score one for aikido.

2. People talk about how the attacker needs (most of the time) to "commit" to an attack to be properly thrown. Bad...

3. Friend from school, 6'2 and big guy weightlifter, talks about how martial arts don't work. He has only taken aikido.

4. An aikido demo clip I got off kazaa with a 5th dan BB small lady doing throws against her students......fairly boring, a lot of extended strike positions held after an attack completely misses (this is why i hate a lot of demos) and then the throw.

well i don't know.....i'm not too impressed

--
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:33pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido is useless for the streets unless you train specifically for the streets.

I bet that respected member won't say a thing, since Aikido isn't one of the top styles that are effective today.

First thing you are taught in Aikido... Ukemi. To fall. I thought Aikido was effective till one day I tried Shiho Nage on somebody and they just reversed me.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:35pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The footwork is kinda confusing at times, though."
    is it because they wear that traditional "skirt"?

:)

and
    5. a guy at my Wing Chun place talked to me about his application of some of the aikido wrist locks with me, though he weren't really going hard he said he would use an aikido wrist at one point.......oh well

--

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:36pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "1. A respected member of this site was discussing something on PM with me, and he said he used the first thorw from aikido on some guy out of reaction. Ok...score one for aikido."
    **** i can't type with this keyboard

i'll post more at home

--

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:39pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first 3 throws in Aikido are pretty much the same in thebeginning. Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo, it's what you transition too that is different.

The throw I used was Ikkyo, no pin.

Read the thread about fave takedowns. I put in some thoughts on Aikido there as well.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

***ned

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    brandeissansoo loves wristlocking me. He's gotten the wrist lock at least a couple times when we rolled. Admittedly, I'm not the best grappler on the planet, but it's feasible. Fucking nikkyo. But I'll get him back...heh heh heh....

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast