Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy's mistake was changing his mind in the middle of the altrecation.

Generaly speaking, in an extreme situation of any sort, one should follow through on the course of action once the initial descision has been made. This is another example on why that's a good rule to follow.

Had the guy initialy defended himself as opposed to running away, noone would find him to be at fault. However, he chose to run, got away to safety, and then changed his mind.

Despite the fact that I'm a firm believer in ones right to defend himself in such situations, I agree with the court ruling. They guy acted stupidly, and as far as I'm concerned stupidity is grounds for firing someone.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
    You say what about my rice?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "He was at a safe distance and made a decision to go back to teach this guy a lesson. Problem is I agree with that too.."

In that case you are fighting, not defending yourself. And that is what the guy got fired for. Fighting at work.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Edited by - Punisher on June 13 2003 13:14:55

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 1:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zujitsu Ka : Oh yeah, I very mucha gree with teaching him a lesson. I just wouldn't do that in my workplace.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't beat peoplke up at work and expect not to be fired LOL

I think about the situtation and ask could I have reacted the same way ? The answer is yes. The guys trying to hurt you with weapons you take off and get safe. The guy is still there with a weapon and I probably , had I decided to ruun at first and not fight right away, gotten pissed off.

So I understand why he did it and could very well have done the exact same thing and would have gotten fired too.

I probably would have run initially though...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probably wouldn't have run initially

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:10pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, Os, if someone tries to take someone's life the aggrerssor's life is forfeit. I don't think the victim, after nearly being beaten to death with a HAMMER, is going to make the most rational decisions.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the boss was an asshole. I think his hands were tied by a zero tolerance policy on work place violence. And I think the policy is right. I honestly don't know what I would do in a similar situtation, but I wouldn't sue for unlawful termintation if I chose payback over safety.

The incident was over, the "victim" decided to put his own life and the well being of other employees and the company as a whole in danger by starting it up again.

By choosing to go back and fight the guy when he clearly didn't have to he broke the rules. It doesn't matter why. If you are stealing from work to feed the homeless, you are still stealing and your going to get fired. What he chose to do had the potential to negatively impact his employer for a long, long time.

What if someone else tried to break up the fight and got hurt? What if their fight damaged expensive equipment? What if their fight resulted in one of their deaths and everyone at work that day had to recieve consueling, on the company tab, to get over the fact that they had to go back to the place they saw a man killed everyday?

All of this could have happened in the initial encounter, and thankfully it didn't. If it would have stopped there the original attacker would be to blame and would have been the only one punished. But it didn't. The orignal victim started it up all over again and brought all those possibilites back into play.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides the lawful interpretation of self-defense is pretty clear.

If you are doing what you are doing out of fear of immediate danger, not anger or retribuition, and attempt to end the situation in the best way you now how you will be ok.

Being angry is not a defense for assualt, not even if what made you angry was an unprovoked attack on your life. To use the "he wasn't thinking clearly" defense, he had to be so out of it he couldn't rationally know right from wrong. He knew fighting at work was wrong, he just didn't care. He wanted payback, and ended up with a metal cap upside his head and losing his job for acting on it.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris. I agree with you, the boss is an asshole.

I would never fire my employees for defending themselves.

However, I do feel that he had the legal right to do so.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also very much against "zero tolerance policies" of any kind. I firmly believe that every serious incident needs to be handled on a case by case basis.

------------------------
    I remain, Hapko3
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast