6/12/2003 11:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >A punch is a punch is a punch.

Ummm, no.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "When I started training in Gung Fu, a punch was just a punch, and a kick was just a kick.
    After training for a few years, a punch was much more than a punch and a kick was more
    than just a kick. Now that I have trained a long time, a punch is just a punch and
    a kick is just a kick."
    -Bruce Lee, "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do"
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 1:49am

Style: insane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    choose boxing for raw basic hand skill set and conditioning, choose mt for all round striking skill set.

as far as "complimenting" ones grappling skills, - MA training isnt a restaurant meal, or a 3 piece suit. **** that consumer mentality.

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get it, though. I thought boxing and Muay Thai trained the same techniques in a similiar fashion?
    Especially nowerdays, MT people will incorporate refined western boxing skills, especially the westerners, however boxing concentartes on just punching obviously and they're better at teaching you how to punch. There's things that you wouldn't do in MT as much, like ducking and weaving IMO... but they even do that. You'll probably get a little better at punching if you train Boxing, and you will get better at everything else with MT obviously.

I thought that was obvious? :)

Merc is 100% correct, as long as oyu know how to kick and punch properly, have the right sense of timing and basically no what you're doing.

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
    "If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have to choose one? I'd go for MT, but it's almost more of a personal preference. It's good to know how to knee, elbow and kick properly as well as punch. Although punching alone can easily be enough - focuses on one tool only, is quick and effective (for MMA/Streets.) Go with MT though, punches are the same (+ some more) they just aren't practicsed nearly as much, or possibly not nearly as well as in Boxing.

"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    btw, you talk about grappling?

If you mean BJJ, and by the looks of it you live in the USA ;), you'll want to do some wrestling for the takedowns too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is a simple question.If you have only one of these arts to choose it's clearly Muay Thai.No boxer would be able to fight a Muay Thai guy. Because a boxer can't defend Muay Thai kicks , it's impossible for a boxer. If you compare Muay Thai to boxing. Muay Thai uses every part of the body , boxing just uses fists.And Muay Thai guys are known to be able to suffer lots of pain.Being able to suffer pain is one of the most important things in streetfight,Vale tudo etc. .But if you ask such as question you seem to be not much experienced in martial arts or only experienced in some martial arts styles. If I were you i would nor choose boxing or Muay Thai i would choose Hung Gar if you like external martial arts.

Sincerely,
    Tiger of Shaolin

Titan

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 3:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MT would be better as it incorporates more things, including the clinch.

Either's good though, and as always it's the sparing that's important.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

***ned

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 4:00am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is a simple question.If you have only one of these arts to choose it's clearly Muay Thai.No boxer would be able to fight a Muay Thai guy. Because a boxer can't defend Muay Thai kicks , it's impossible for a boxer. If you compare Muay Thai to boxing. Muay Thai uses every part of the body , boxing just uses fists.And Muay Thai guys are known to be able to suffer lots of pain.Being able to suffer pain is one of the most important things in streetfight,Vale tudo etc. .But if you ask such as question you seem to be not much experienced in martial arts or only experienced in some martial arts styles. If I were you i would nor choose boxing or Muay Thai i would choose Hung Gar if you like external martial arts.

Sincerely,
    Tiger of Shaolin
    AAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Titan

Posted On:
    6/13/2003 4:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >I would choose Hung Gar if you like external martial arts.

Or maybe it's sister art, Thirst-tee.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast