Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    6/14/2003 4:26am

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Karate was only practiced by nobles then why do many Karate weapons resemble farming tools? I for one am very confused at the idea of a noble using a rice flail or a harpoon head as a weapon.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strictly speaking, Karate doesn't include weapons training. That is (or was) known as Kobudo.
    The word Karate is a Japanese pronunciation of two Chinese characters which say "Kung Shou" or "Empty Hand" which denote training in sparring; strikes, punches, kicks, etc. Weapons training is seen as separate. Lots of Karate aficionados do train Kobudo as well, which is where it can get confusing for an outsider.

Grim, hard, cold words, heartless and miserable. The night was railing against the morning of which it was bereaved, and the cold was cursing the warmth for which it hungered.

Edited by - Mr. Nice Guy on June 15 2003 20:04:45

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 8:12pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate practiced only by nobles?? Since when?

I always thought that Ju Jutsu was the art that was practiced by the nobility and the samurai.

It was always my understanding that Karate was developed by the Okinawan farmers as a means of defense from the invading Japanese. They implemented farming tools because the Japanese had outlawed the posession of edged and bladed weapons.

But then, I could be wrong.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It STARTED being based down by the nobles...but then filtered down..keep in mind the chinese "professors" who were giving the okinawans an education were also teaching them how to fight. The poor were not the ones recieving these tutors at first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 9:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    passed down*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 9:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something that has also diminished its effectiveness is this.

Think about how these people lived, they were not overweight, lazy, out of shape people. They were farmers with hard hands and a tolerance for pain and hard work. The kata they practiced was a primary thing due to the fact that their strength was not deficient and their hands were not soft.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 9:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is why we have to supplement our training with weights and such

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 11:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I for one am very confused at the idea of a noble using a rice flail or a harpoon head as a weapon."

The nobles didn't and neither did the peasents. We've talked about it before, a rice flail sucks as a weapon and takes a lot of skill to use effectively. A simple club, on the other hand almost anyone can use. But the facts are there is not any documented evdience that the Okinawans ever picked up the sickles and flails in anger and fought against Samurai with them. The incorporation of farm tools into their martial arts most likely is a tribute to their agricultural roots and is more about self expression than actual combat.

"Think about how these people lived, they were not overweight, lazy, out of shape people. They were farmers with hard hands and a tolerance for pain and hard work. The kata they practiced was a primary thing due to the fact that their strength was not deficient and their hands were not soft."

Yes, think about how they lived. They were under s strict fuedal system. They were basically slaves. When did they have time to practice all these kata? Daylight hours were most likely spent working in the field. And if they did their training at night say by lamp or fire light, how did they keep it secret from their oppressors?

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2003 11:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how were they slaves

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    6/16/2003 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, they existed under the fuedal system. They were forced to work on someone elses land for the food they were given to eat. They basically didn't have anything that the Japanese or their own nobles couldn't take away at a whim. And the fact that the nobles probably consider the peasents their property, makes them pretty much slaves.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast